1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surely that was outstanding???

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by sav5000, Oct 22, 2011.

1. sav5000

sav5000 New commenter

Hi

As a HOD, who completes a lot of lesson obs.

Sadly a lot of politics in observation, sometimes, it depends who is observing and the agenda they have. Some observers will see outstanding lessons and look for something, anything they can identify, to justify giving a good grade. Many reasons for this, mostly unfair i feel, seems like you ran into a person like this, but don't get downhearted, the system itself is far from outstanding!

2. I've just had a very similar experience. Got observed by Ofsted last year with an outstanding and amazing feedback. Just had a 10min observation this week with year 12 as part of the school's 'learning walk' and got a 3! In 6 years of teaching I have never had a 3 in any observation. I was completely shocked as I thought the lesson was good - kids learning, good atmosphere, I was enjoying it and so were they. Feedback was entirely negative without a single positve comment.
    I'm pretty sure there's some political reason underlying this however it did no good to my confidence or morale!

3. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Observed by who Jane?

4. It was my Head of department and Head of Faculty...both of whom I get on very well with. I think that they believe in what they were telling me and did not have an agenda...I think, perhaps, the school is frightened that Ofsted will tell us we are being too lenient with observations??! I'm just interested if simply not asking a student a question is enough to deem the lesson good rather than outstanding? I have since looked at Tony Thornley's article about what constitutes good and outstanding lessons and I still believe mine was outstanding.

5. As a regular observer of lessons in many schools, I sometimes get fed up of lessons where there is too much talk about levels. It sounds too much like 'teaching to the test' to me. I can't believe that any Ofsted inspector would ever give either of those reasons for your lesson not being outstanding. Contrary to popular belief, Ofsted does not require levels to be mentioned at all, as long as the assessment serves its purpose in helping the pupil learn.

6. Hmm that's this weeks box to tick is it... [​IMG]