1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surely a new low?

Discussion in 'English' started by PIGGYSSPECS, Apr 23, 2013.

1. After dubious methods of 'intervention' failed to produce the necessary C grades in controlled assessments, we are now resorting to PAYING students to attend revision classes.
    If I worked out my hourly rate, I'd probably find they're earning more than me.

2. After dubious methods of 'intervention' failed to produce the necessary C grades in controlled assessments, we are now resorting to PAYING students to attend revision classes.
    If I worked out my hourly rate, I'd probably find they're earning more than me.

3. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

What she said.
    That is an absolute disgrace!

5. This is not why I came into teaching all those decades ago!
    Who knows what damage we are causing this generation - and ourselves (I've never worked so hard or felt as much stress as I do this year!)
    Some of my students are doing last minute CAs (for the third or fourth time in some cases) to boost grades. Some are asking to repeat units; others are being coerced... And they are attending booster/revisions sessions at the start of the day/lunchtime/after school (also during Easter break and, no doubt, the coming half-term break...)
    This unrelenting focus on KS4 - year 11 especially - is at the expense of KS3, although mounting pressure is being felt there, too. If I could be left alone to invest more quality time in planning for, teaching and marking/assessing the learning that should be taking place in lessons, then perhaps I would be able to get off this interminable intervention/booster merry-go-round!

6. Concur with tears.
    Words fail me. That is wrong on so many levels that it is impossible to articulate a response.

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Last year, I threw three lads out of the optional Sunday session before the exam (optional for them, not for me!)

They were doing what they had done all year - sweet FA, loudly - so I sent them packing. They didn't want to be there, I didn't want them to be there, the kids who wanted to do some work didn't want them to be there.

One of them failed to turn up for the exam and had to be collected by a LSA.

The whole notion of revision is insane. I did my own revision, on my own in study leave. Teaching until 15 seconds before the exam is not revision and it helps no one in the long run.... And it pisses me off when they say "we've done this before". I know, you idiot, that is why it is called REvision!!!!

OP: is your school planning to pay the students who actively engage more than the ones who sit there, lumpen, or *** about????

8. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

Unbelievable!! When I sat my o levels back in 1976 it was my responsibility to be ready for the exams. Indeed there were times when I thought some of my teachers were doing their best to trip us up. Now it seems the teachers' responsibility to get good grades for their students. The whole system needs turning on its head and the onus placed back onto the student and the pressure taken off the teachers. If I had tried to claim that any of my failings were the fault of the school or teachers I would have been laughed at.

9. I see this as yet another of the many costs of failing to modernise English spelling
    <font color="#0000ff">http://improvingenglishspelling.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/costs-of-english-spelling.html</font>
    It is very difficult to improve educational attainment when 1 in 4 pupils have difficulty learning to read with understanding, and nearly 1 in 2 never quite manage to get to grips with spelling, because they are not able to memorise all the unpredictably used letters in 3,700 common words.

10. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

OP - that's properly mental. You have my complete sympathy!

I only wonder now, when will it all stop? When will they finally break the children (and us) and be forced to realise that it is all just too much.

11. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

[​IMG]

12. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

This is so wrong [​IMG] Feel so sorry for you - utterly ridiculous.
    Concur completely. Hacks me off. And I only sat my GCSEs in 2003. There were no extra revision classes for us - we attended timetabled lessons, did the homework, did our own coursework, went on study leave and got on with it. If we were really struggling with a concept, we went and asked our teachers ourselves. I've had students bring me a post-it note (without saying a word themselves!) with a note from mum saying 'could you please explain this again...' Top set year 10!!!
    Like, huh?

13. Agree with all points made! (except possibly the one about spelling...?)

A student who has squandered up to five years of English education (and in several cases hindered the chances of many other students by disrupting lessons, and been verbally abusive to staff on many occasions) will be able to earn themselves the princely sum of £150, simply by turning up to a few 'booster' sessions. Meanwhile, a student who has taken every opportunity to succeed and has done so on their own merits will receive diddly squat, and will likely be ignored by the majority of stressed-out English teachers over the next 6 weeks who do not have the time or energy to help them reach their potential, because that student already has a C and that is apparently good enough. Instead the teacher must provide the squander-ers with yet more opportunities to rewrite the same controlled assessment they have already failed at 8 times. Never mind that the ones we cast aside might need a B or above to access A-Level courses. That won't make a difference to our position in the league tables, so who cares!

It makes my blood boil. I for one will be refusing to take any part in running these sessions. Or in facilitating 'redrafts'.

14. All I can do is agree.

Nothing is putting the kids off English more than all the focus on the magic C grade. We have a whole cohort entered for Lit just to make the Eng iGCSE count - poor kids will not get a grade for this.

Bl00dy league tables and data and levels of progress and percentages and don't even get me started on the lower ability who have been completely ignored.

15. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

I have just read the whole of this thread, and it doesn't get me ANY more marks in my GCSE - can I have some money please? <grins wryly>.
    Deep sympathies with OP, although a vestigial amount of jealousy to be in a set-up that has that level of resources available (mine get a smile and maybe half a biscuit and like it!)

16. Pay the pupils?
    Teachers are expected to attend in their holidays unpaid - it is "imperative" that we do.
    If the pupils are paid then the staff should be also. Pigs will fly first in my school though - the budget doesn't balance.

17. Slightly off topic, but I would love to know how teachers get away with having pupils do work again & again to improve it? My daughter was allowed only one 'go' - she got Band 2, when she is an A* candidate - & was told her writing was not 'sophisticated' enough.She was just 14. No chance to re - do - this was a CA in English Language, done in October of Year TEN - the best part of 2 years before the GCSE!
    Why such discrepancy?

18. The work cannot be 're-done' - meaning that your daughter cannot look at her marked work and improve it. However, she can use it to understand where she went wrong and then produce a new piece of work. The units of work have to begin in year ten as there is so much to get through.

In my school, any work that is below target is deemed unacceptable (except in extreme circumstances) and it is up to the teacher and student to complete another controlled assessment task.

Obviously this causes problems, as, in a class of 30 for example, there will be a whole range of students above, below and on target. It is unfair for those above target to have to sit through the teaching again for no gain, equally it is unfair for a child to not be allowed to fulfill their potential.

I think your initial comment of how teachers 'get away' is rather uninformed. Some schools might encourage their teachers to bend the rules - but most do not, and their integrity means they will not.

19. I thought that in order for any English qualification to count, students must get a G in Literature at least - rules were changed last year I think, Is IGCSE different? In which case [in league table terms] feel I have just wasted two years - could have just done IGCSE and blasted my A*-C target!

20. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

The rule is merely that they need to sit English Literature. They can fail it. The rule is the same for GCSE and IGCSE.