1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suregrave router fault

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Simon67, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Morning all
    We have a 5 year old "excalibur" router from Suregrave. Love it, great machine, but.....

Our computers were all re-built over the summer, to install Office 10, and the router hasn't worked properly since. It keeps coming up with a SERIAL OVERRUN ERROR. There is no mention of this in the book of words....

It appears that the computer isn't sending the work through to the machine fast enough - half way through a job it loses it's bearings and starts cutting anything.

I know Suregrave have been taken over, but at the moment I am having no joy with them returning calls or email.

Has anyone any ideas??

Thanks

2. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Morning all
    We have a 5 year old "excalibur" router from Suregrave. Love it, great machine, but.....

Our computers were all re-built over the summer, to install Office 10, and the router hasn't worked properly since. It keeps coming up with a SERIAL OVERRUN ERROR. There is no mention of this in the book of words....

It appears that the computer isn't sending the work through to the machine fast enough - half way through a job it loses it's bearings and starts cutting anything.

I know Suregrave have been taken over, but at the moment I am having no joy with them returning calls or email.

Has anyone any ideas??

Thanks

3. Had the same problem with our 2 Wizards running off 2D Design.

One thing to try
    Get a serial to USB adaptor, these are much faster. Have to say, this didn't work for us.

The problem we had was moving to Win XP and to 2D V2, the drivers instead of being Wizard had to be changed to Roland EX300. Everyone said it would work fine, it didn't. After many hours of frustration and ruined work I had 2 stand alone machines built to run Win98 and went back to 2D V1 and the correct drivers. They've worked fine since. Just carry work around on a USB stick.

4. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Thanks - agree that V2 of 2D Design doesn't work - we changed to that a couple of years ago, but still have V1 on the pc that runs the router - I export V2 files to V1 and run the router from V1 - and all worked well until this term....!!

5. You're sure that some of the files haven't been removed or over-written when the update was done?

Have they updated the OS, or just the other files?

Do you have the original drivers disk to re-install? This was where our problem started as this disk would only install properly on win95 and 98. So, try as we might, we couldn't get it to work with XP.

Final thing I can think of is to revert back to an earlier image which should be saved on the computer and accept that you can't run the new software. The computers I have on the Wizards don't connect to the school network and are only used to run the machines, so they have 2D design installed, but nothing else.

6. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

I've checked with out IT guys - all they did was to install Office 2010 onto the system. The operating system (XP) wasn't touched. The router itself only works from one computer - but that computer is connected to the network. This has never caused a problem before - only in the past few weeks.

Still waiting for Suregrave to return my call and email - otherwise they might have to come an fix it on site.
    Thanks for your help.

7. Can you try taking the computer off the network? Which driver do you use for the machine? and, daft as it seems, unplug everything, leave it over the weekend then try again!! One of our machines lost the 'Z' axis and, like you, we couldn't get any response from the new improved Suregrave, and this machine was the one we use to cut all our circuit boards. Technician had spent ages on it and, in the end, switched everything off. I went and looked at it a couple of weeks later and it worked fine!

Don't think you'll get many other responses here though. I posted our problems and got very little response, don't think Suregrave are widely used in schools and their customer support gives a good reason why.

8. From reading your post on SERIAL OVERRUN ERROR, the error most likly is that the printer port setting is incorrect.
    I suggest you try these options:
    Check that the computer is running ECP/EPP mode in the bios, sometimes
    new PCs are set to default setting. Ask the Tech guys to check it
    out.
    In Windows check the LPT port setting:
    Control Panel -Device Manager - Ports (Com & LPT) - LPT. Right click - Properties - Port Setting tab - Enable PnP & enable Use any Interupt Assigned to Port. Apply.
    If not port setting:
    Run 2D design in Windows 98 compatibility mode if running XP/Vista/win 7.
    Another way to test on a separate computer i.e your laptop, without installing 2D.
    I am doing this from memory when I use to work.

9. I am sure flyingblocksofwood has got it, (great name by the way). Sounds awefully like a printer port problem. Office 10 may have hijacked some printer settings so - do you really need Office on this computer?
    For the record, we run WindowsXP and 2D V2 and school network ok with a mercury laser cutter but no Office and no other networked printer..

10. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Thanks people.... I believe it is a port setting... someone suggested we changed the board rate settings from 9600 to 115,000 - or two similar settings like that - and all that happened was the machine wouldn't stop to allow us to set the absolute on the higher setting.... unless we pressed the big red stop button, when of course it was too late to set anything!!

Unfortunately I do not understand flyingblocksofwood's post!! However, I'll get our IT guys to read it and try tomorrow. I have tried the turn it off and leave it method over half term - with no success.

Not really impressed with the new improved Suregrave at the moment! Getting a bit concerned about having the machine- needing to use the machine in both KS3 and 4 - and it not working as it should.

I'll have another fiddle tomorrow - yet another hours non-contact time lost - and report back.

Thanks again

11. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

An update....

IT WORKS!!

I was trying, almost weekly amd sometimes daily, to get a response from the new improved Suregrave. Everytime I spoke to a human they promised to find out and return my call. Yeah, right!

Then last week I had an email from one of the "old" Suregrave service guys. The 3 service people all lost their jobs when Suregrave went bust, so they've set themselves up in business. One email, and later that afternoon the machine was working as usual. It was all to do with the x ON x OFF setting - whatever that is!!

They are happy to help with any quieries about Suregrave equipment bought in the past.

Details as below
    Phil Hayes
    Xenetech
    Technical Director
    Mobile: +44 (0) 7736 036 088