1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sur, Oman A good move?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dlf, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dlf

dlf

Hi All
    I can't seem to find out much about living and teaching in Sur, Oman. I will be taking my daughter (18 months old) with me. Would this be a good move or a bad move? Would really appreciate any advice.
    Cheers

2. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Dunno but I remember a blog from a good few years back by Andrew something or other that described teaching in Sur as a complete nightmare.

3. Not recommended for a couple of reasons.
    Sur is very small and quiet. Expect to be very self contained as far as a social life is concerned. Very little to do, very. Very few expats.
    Also have heard negative things about the school. A friend of mine, desperately looking for a job (wanted to leave her post in Muscat) wouldn't for a second consider the school in Sur but was happily looking into other parts of Oman.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Having visited Sur, I would agree with sidinz. It's quite pretty, but I would not consider going there if I did not speak fluent Arabic.