1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg has died.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Sep 19, 2020.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Sad news - a trooper

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

May her memory be a blessing.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Respect. She was a worthy adversary.

6. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

If Trump tries to replace her then they need to pack the court. It’s a horrific anomaly anyway and it should have been done years ago but, whatever the circumstance, it needs to be replaced by a non partisan body. It’s an embarrassment to any supposed democracy.

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

LOL. You mean a non-partisan body like the UK Supreme Court?

8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Excellent to hear. So after some years of leftist dominance, and especially if Trump wins again (as is seeming ever more likely despite having almost all the US media against him) we might get more decency and common sense and less political correctness in US law.
    As regards Ginsberg, there are liberal views which a reasonable and liberal views that are obscene. Unfortunately, she supported too many of the latter. In my view, of course.

9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Interesting that you are so strongly against the Democrats medicare plan. Should we scrap or scale down the NHS and replace it with private insurance schemes? Would that kind of change be a decent and common sense step for the UK to follow the 'excellent' rejection by Republicans of increased state funding for healthcare in the US?

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice and this vacancy should not be filled until they have a new president.

11. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I agree that Trump should wait, actually.

12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

No. The NHS and Obamacare are very different. Obamacare sounded good, but in practice is not so good. Apart from many other flaws, it took hundreds of billions of dollars from Medicare, the federal government defaulted on over 2 billion $ on one of the programmes and it made no reference or incentive to behavioural issues underpinning so much of US health problems.

13. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

A great lady and sad to hear.

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

They already have a voice through their elected president and senators.

And it is vital that this vacancy is filled before the election. We need the full 9 justices. When the Democrats refuse to concede defeat and the Supreme Court is called upon to adjudicate, the chance of a 4-4 split decision is too great to risk.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that if Trump nominated a replacement for RBG, that person would get a swift hearing in the Senate.
    Tolerant liberals aren't taking it well.
    [​IMG]

LondonCanary likes this.
  16. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

Why wasn't this an issue in the last election then? Is Clinton more trustworthy than Biden?

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No, not well at all.

Sidebar: in what cray cray world do people behave like that? And then think they'll look good if they post it on social media? Some people on my side say that liberalism is a form of mental illness. I was always sceptical about that but nowadays... not so sure.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    DrLinus likes this.
  18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Why? Because there weren't any vacancies on the Supreme Court in 2016.
    And because the Dems weren't planning to steal the election then. They'd paid for it and it was in the bag. They thought. This time they're not taking any chances.

19. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

A strange, worrying comment which goes to the heart of the issue

Currently the US Supreme Court and those who sit there is/are more powerful than the President and Congress combined.

(Hence her wholly political and thereby anti-judicial desire to influence the nature of her substitute justice when any judge worth his/ her salt should only say "I wish that my replacement be honest, fearless and knowledgeable of the law.")

This was self-evidently not the intention of the Founding Fathers who wrote the US Constitution with its elaborate system of checks and balances.

Ergo: Something has gone wrong with US democracy.

My spin: Something has gone badly wrong with US democracy.

emilystrange and artboyusa like this.
  20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Your spin is correct.