1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supposing you owned a parrot

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jul 9, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

A parrot that was a keen listener and mimic who repeated the things said in your house. Would you feel comfortable about inviting the Queen to tea?

2. modelmaker

A parrot that was a keen listener and mimic who repeated the things said in your house. Would you feel comfortable about inviting the Queen to tea?

3. I've got a three year old. Who needs a parrot?

4. We had a parrot in the family when I was young and there is no way that it could have been around if the Queen came around for tea. We had to hide it when the vicar visited! The parrot, an African Grey, spent many years sitting on a perch in a pub and had been taught a wide vocabulary. My brother and I thought it was hysterical but I think we were the only ones.

5. When I first came to Southampton, there was a big bird cage in one of the parks with lots of birds including a parrot which had been taught a lot of naughty words and phrases, possibly by drunken sailors or students! A friend of mine had a African Grey parrot which he brought back from Uganda when his family fled from Idi Amin's thugs: it would greet each of the 5 children by name when they came down in the morning. Terrified the hell out of me, though - a vicious brute!!

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I live alone and am elective mute...for days all the parrot would here would be the TV (and the noise from the guy upstairs....sometimes that is louder than my TV)
    But then I would have an 'episode'...I'd get stressed and not notice the warning signs quickly enough.....the parrot would then hear some really nasty language being shouted out - I swear violently and it can be in either of my two main languages. ...and I repeat the words...again and again and again....the parrot would quickly build up an extensive vocabulary to make the queen blush...or maybe not - she lives with Philip - I bet his language wouldn't pass the TES filter!

7. I would like a parrot but I think they need more attention than a dog.
    It would be good if it chat like Miss. Marple.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

[​IMG]
    Forget the parrot-mimic......could I please have a trained monkey - to do my typing, spell check and proof-reading please!

9. modelmaker

Do they? Do you have to take them out for a fly every morning and evening?

10. Possibly. They cant be left on their own else they get into mischief........and when upset they pull their own feathers out.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I remember going to pick up my then two year old from the childminder, only to hear her (my daughter) muttering F.u.c.k.i.e Hell.
    I know for a fact she didn't hear it from the childminder. That taught us to rein in our casual "indoor" language pretty sharpish.

12. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

My gran had a parrot. Big red and blue thing that had belonged to her mother.... I was scared of it..... it used to eyeball me as a kid and try and pinch my crisps.