1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supportive Headteacher - a positive post

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Gemini25, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Gemini25

Gemini25 New commenter

Sorry to gatecrash the forum, I'm rank-and-file at the chalkface.

I often hear negative things about new headteachers, especially those that are young. My school had a new and young headteacher at the start of this academic year as our old head retired after almost three decades as headteacher. A few months after the new head started, I had some really difficult things going on in my home life and the new head has been incredibly supportive. They have shown understanding and compassion throughout the ordeal and they continue to do so (things are better but not completely resolved), signposted me to services that might help me, reassured me that compassionate leave would be granted without question, asked how I am, shown absolute discretion and respected my confidence at all times and more.Some days it was knowing that I worked for someone who would grant me the support I might need that gave me the confidence to go in.

I just wanted to share this positive experience with you. To all of the headteachers out there like the above, I'm sure your staff do appreciate that about you, whether they tell you that or not.

Happy Easter!

install, Keighleigh and abacus1982 like this.
  2. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing that

Happy Easter

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Thank you sharing that - we need positive messages as well as negative ones. I hope things continue to improve for you.

Keighleigh likes this.
  4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

There are some outstanding HT's.
    I worked with 2.
    Unfortunately the other 13 were simply awful.
    This was over a period of 37 years.

install likes this.
  5. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Lovely to hear some positive news about a new headteacher. Regardless of what people say we are human and have to make tough decisions that people don't like at times. Hope all goes well for you.

install likes this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I have worked for seven, plus two DHs standing in during an interregnum.
    Of those seven, all but one were excellent. Both DHs did a good job in holding the fort. I hope that this is a fair sample of HTs.
    I would think that the forums (fora) on this site will tend to be biased - after all, if you don't have a workplace dilemma, you don't post on there!

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A nice post Gemini. Rather naively until I started reading workforce dilemmas I had no idea of the problems that have existed and how bad some HTs were.

I have always believed that a happy staff are key to a successful school and this has served me well.

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Good for them. Maybe a card and some chocolates?

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Biscuits and cakes are regularly provided:)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

11. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

What if... staff are happy not doing very good job?

12. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

If staff are not doing a very good job, a supportive head would do just that - support. There are ways of doing this but we rarely hear about this as people often only post when the opposite is happening.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  13. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

My headteacher is also fantastic. I have been in this school for a while on supply, and I also have had a few issues along the way (this life thing doesn't half get in the way of things sometimes doesn't it?). The HT has been incredibly supportive - working with my HoD to allow me some time and space when needed. Way above and beyond her responsibility for a supply teacher.

As a result, I have worked incredibly hard, struggled in when I may, in other circumstances, have taken the time off because I knew, that were I not functioning to the best of my abilities I would not be hauled over the coals but my effort would be appreciated. Even a smile and a 'How are you?' as HT passes in the corridor makes a difference.

A few years ago, after a horrific time under a new head in another temporary post, which involved suspension, and thereafter being almost weekly dragged into his office to have strips torn off me for one thing or another, I never thought I would walk into a school again, let alone teach. I have seen both sides of the coin, and have gone from feeling pure hatred for this man to feeling sorry for him.He will probably always struggle with staffing, (5 teachers who had been at the school 15/20 years were seeking other employment by the time I left), and he will never have the respect from his staff that my current HT has, and everything will be a battle for him. If only he could see how different it could be, his life, and those of his staff could be do much better.

I don't think I'll ever get to SLT, but possibly middle management - but even as a humble class teacher, I can keep this in mind and hope I always will.