1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting your headteacher....

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Sparklesocks, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I was just wondering how other deputies and members of the smt go about ensuring that they do enough to support their headteacher fully. I'm a new deputy and there is so much to learn!

I have a great friendship with my head, we are always chatting, laughing and playing pranks on each other. My head shares a lot with me as long as I make the effort to seek them out. I have a full year 6 teaching commitment but always try to find my head twice but at least once to 'check in'as such and to ask if they need anything done. Sometimes I feel as if I am pestering but how else can I make sure that I am being supportive?

2. Hi all,

I was just wondering how other deputies and members of the smt go about ensuring that they do enough to support their headteacher fully. I'm a new deputy and there is so much to learn!

I have a great friendship with my head, we are always chatting, laughing and playing pranks on each other. My head shares a lot with me as long as I make the effort to seek them out. I have a full year 6 teaching commitment but always try to find my head twice but at least once to 'check in'as such and to ask if they need anything done. Sometimes I feel as if I am pestering but how else can I make sure that I am being supportive?

3. "I'm Pm'ing you as its is not always approved of that businesses use these forums"

I thought I was at least anyway.

4. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

What a great question! Really has got me thinking. Making those joint decisions are important, especially the tough ones! Your relationship sounds great with the Head, informal chats, catching up about issues is all important. Many Heads say it's a lonely job so knowing they can chat to the Deputy about most things is probably great for them. Often, when one of us is flagging, the other keeps things ticking over which is what I value most in the relationship.

Always back HT, even if you don't agree, you can tell them not others tho as some people like to play one off against the other. An important relationship. The 2 local schools have HT and DHT against each other... so not nice in there from what I hear from staff. Enjoy the role, it is soooo demanding but really good fun!

5. Thanks for your thoughts! I am learning loads in the job and I do love it most of the time. I think that if I didn't question myself so much things would be a tad easier at times!!

Not having to worry about support too much at the moment as my head has been off for nearly 2 weeks now. The days run away with me and I am in bed most nights before 8! An exception tonight as I had my parent support night. Role on Friday and a healthy headteacher!!