1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting the Catholic ethos of a primary school

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by 10036732, Sep 11, 2009.

1. I'm applying for a TA role in a local(ish) Catholic primary. One of the requirements in the Person Spec is to "support the Catholic ethos of the school." I'm a long-standing Humanist and do not intend to hide this from the school, but I'm not anti-religion. I have everything else and more that the school is looking for, but what's the best way to square this particular circle? As Heads with no doubt many years' experience of recruiting, what sort of interview responses would impress you? Thanks in anticipation.

2. As a Catholic head I expect my staff to support the Catholic Ethos by attending Mass held during school hours - and the occasional times out of usual hours. I expect them to promote our Catholic values. I would expect honesty in an interview - but if you are not prepared to support the Catholic Ethos this school is not for you. Whilst we embrace diversity, and being a Humanist should not exclude you from this post you need to be aware that the purpose of Catholic Schools is to educate within the Catholic faith.

3. Your Humanist values should not exclude you as they tend to gel with Christian/Catholic values
    What you must be prepared for is the encouragement to pray, to take part in the spiritual life of this school and in no way to contradict the school's aim to deevlop the childen's spirituality.