1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting students with fewer Teaching Assistants

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Woody Wood, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Woody Wood

Woody Wood New commenter

Hi all. I am interested to learn how you are all making plans to support your students with the ever present threat of fewer teaching assistants in the classroom. Has anyone come up with an intervention structure or a more suitable way to deploy remaining teaching assistants.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that you need to start with having very clear criteria for deployment initially and then it is not about ' what suits ' but what makes sense. You may have to be creative. Ensuring that your teaching staff are equipped with a repertoire of inclusive teaching strategies is fundamental and should be a priority. Your support mechanisms / interventions( if you want ) then hinge on who would benefit most and who is best ( most skilled ) to lead. Of course, whatever you decide the intervention should be time limited and staff made accountable. Offering equal opp re CPD and being proactive rather than reactive in providing for your intake will make deployment easier as you create a workforce which is knowledgable, adaptable and flexible. I understand your concerns but just having 'more bodies' does not mean that provision is at its most effective.

3. Woody Wood

Woody Wood New commenter

Hi Minnie Me, thank you for your comments, most helpful. I am naturally concerned about the way forward, as I know most of us are, but I just really wanted to pick brains on this to find out how others are approaching this in their schools.