1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting statement/cover letter

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by bijalc, Jun 9, 2020.

1. bijalc

bijalc New commenter

Hi there,

I'm applying for jobs and was wondering do I need to include a cover letter even if I'm producing a supporting statement?

Many thanks,

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Depends what you mean by a cover letter!

In theory a cover letter would look like this:

Dear Dr Griff

Post of Teacher of Sanskrit in Holly Road School

I wish to apply for this post and attach my application form, supporting statement with summary, and monitoring form as requested.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Ijalc

In other words, it is just acting as a cover, a sort of envelope for your actual application.

Some people say cover letter when they really mean a letter of application. Certainly you shouldn't include that as well as a statement, because they would be repetitive. Either one or the other, depending on what the school asks for.

I suggest that you start by going to the TES Resources where I have uploaded a free template Executive Summary to start the ball rolling. Fill in the LH side with their requirements (you may well have to be selective and do some condensing too), and in the RH side put your evidence. This will give you a clear picture of what they want and how you meet their requirements. Move on from there! You can get more help with this, and teacher applications in general, HERE.

Do check your SPAG very carefully - it's so easy to miss a basic error such as less instead of fewer, tricky spellings, or even something like writing Yours Sincerely. No, it doesn't have a capital S!

And once you have sent off the application, start immediately on interview preparation. People are being called at very short notice!

Best of luck

3. bijalc

bijalc New commenter

Thank you for this :)

I have completed a supporting statement but on e-teach there is an option to include a cover letter. I'm confused on whether I should include this because my supporting statement includes my experience related to the person specification?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As I said, you don't need both. The cover letter is just a cover.