1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting Statement and Covering Letters

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by msb92, Sep 16, 2020.

1. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I think I am getting mixed up with both supporting statements and covering letters when applying for positions.

In regards to applications, what do I need to include in both and how long should they be?

With my CV I include a Covering Letter which is 2 pages and gives a description about my teaching etc. Should this be the covering letter or should this be the supporting statement?

I hope you can help with this. It might be a real simple answer but I just have a back to school frazzled brain!

Many thanks!

2. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

From my understanding, they're both the same thing. People use both terms interchangably.

I've completed a few applications where I was able to attach a covering letter, and further on in the application it asked for a supporting statement but said not to bother if I attached a covering letter.

Maybe covering letters are more formal in their formatting? Starting with the typical "Dear Sir/Madam" or "To whom it may concern" - whereas a supporting statement is normally a text box in an application form that doesn't involve the vapid pleasantries of a covering letter. Ultimately though, both involve you talking about why you're the best person for the job.

I could be wrong though! Hopefully some other TESers will enlighten us both.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, they are basically the same, except one begins Dear Mrs Green, and the other doesn't

What really struck me, however, was that you talk of your CV.

Generally nowadays, CVs are not expected or even accepted for teaching applications. There has been government guidance on this since a dozen or more years ago. Occasionally there will be the odd school, usually independent, that asks for one. It is not the norm.

So unless you are specifically asked for a CV, you shouldn't send one.

I suggest that you go to TES Resources where I have put up a free template Executive Summary for applicants to download. There are some explanatory notes to explain briefly how to use it. Come back and ask if you need more help!

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I've just written a looooong reply on the thread "I can't get a permanent post".

I think you may find it helpful.

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff