1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting statement advise needed

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by teacher1200, Feb 15, 2016.

1. teacher1200

teacher1200 New commenter

I am currently in the process of applying to my dream job and whilst I have read all of the tips that Theo has included elsewhere, still feel a little bit unsure of the best way to present my application.

The application form is the standard Ealing borough form and has a couple of boxes for a supporting statement as well as a more general statement on personal attributes. I have so far, written a cover letter, completed the form (excluding the statement) and have drafted out an executive summary. However, in the Ealing guidance notes on the supporting statement they state that "it would be helpful if you could number your responses to match those on the person specification." This suggests to me that they aren't that fussed about prose and has left me confused with how formally they want this presented.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Many thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This just means that your executive summary, instead of 2 columns, has 3, with numbers in the very first one!

You say that it has

Put the E.S. in these - you'll have to cut it up a bit by the sound of it.

Your supporting statement goes here.

BUT:

What do you mean by this? A real cover letter, i.e. one which just says Dear Sir, I wish to apply for the above post and enclose my completed application form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form. Yours faithfully Ms Teacher1200.

Or do you actually mean a letter of application? In which case, unless they actually specifically ask for one, this letter is your supporting bit that surely goes

Letter of application for a teaching job

Best wishes