1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting Pupils With Medical Needs

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by semiemma, Jul 23, 2012.

1. I work within an F2 class and in September I have a child starting in my class who is diabetic. I am the teaching assistant
    within the class and I will be responsible for checking the child's bloods and giving him injections.

My headteacher has not approached me to ask if I am comfortable in doing this and also he has not asked me if i am prepared to do it either.

The only training i will receive is the day before the child starts. The whole situation makes me nervous but what annoys me the most is that the headmaster has not said a word to me about the whole thing.

Also i have another child in September who suffers with bad eczema and requires cream to be applied twice a day.

I have not been offered any support at all.

With working in F2 we are unsure of the needs the children will have until they actually start in September, so I could have more children within the class who have additional needs.

The inclusion manager within the school has stated that there should be an additional member of staff employed to help with the additional needs of the children within the class but the head has dismissed her recommendations.

2. Emma, you can practise finger pricking and using a blood sugar meter on me if you want. I won't cry (much) honest! [​IMG]
    Happy hols
    Mrs-W
    xx

3. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi If this is any help I used to be responsible for a child in ks2 who was had type 1 diabetise. I agreed to this only after insisting that the diabetic nurse came into to see me and explained step by step what I had to do. The head arranged this and she came in the day after I requested this. After this meeting I felt much easier in dealing with this. You must make sure you have another adult with you when administering the injection and checking blood levels, it is best if no essential that another adult can also do this just in case you are absent. I think your head is being really unfair and ignorant to not be taking this serious. This can be a very serious illness especially if the child is hyper or hypo. We were given a teddy to practice on I practiced on my own tummy obviously no insulin and the needle on the injection is only small and just slightly pierces the skin sounds scary but it's not. The training only took about an hour, however it is knowing what to do when readings are to low below 4 and to high say above 8. Please do not feel pressurised into doing this if you don't feel happy with it, the head has no right to make you do it and you have every right to refuse. If I can be of help please ask. Good luck.

4. I currently help a Year 5 child with their diabetes monitoring and injections - but only supervising his injections - checking he has dialled up the right amount of insulin - and recording his blood readings. He actually does it all himself. The diabetes nurse came in for an hour to go over his careplan and make sure we were all clear on what that involved. However, she told us that it would have been very different if he had been younger/KS1 because we would have to do his injections and bloods for him and that can sometimes be very difficult because some children can be very uncooperative.
    I think you should really have some proper training on how to take care of this child properly - you don't seem to have enough information yet. The BDA (British Diabetic Association) might also be able to help .

5. Like the poster above, I also care for a child who has Type 1 Diabetes.
    I supervise the child's injections, checking he has the right amount of insulin to match his blood level, and supervise blood testing, he does all of this himself, and I do the recording and checking.
    I check his bloods before and after PE, before and after Swimming, after breakfast club and before After schools Club.
    Although this is all voluntary and I was asked before I took the role on if I would feel comfortable doing it. There are another 2 people - one TA and the Secretary who also help out if I am unable to go or am off, but I am the main carer for him. I agreed to do it as I have worked with him since Playgroup and got to know his routine and the signs and symptoms of his illness as we didn't administer injections or check bloods at that time, but after a few months working with him I worked out when he was going low etc and when his behaviour was due to his condition or if he was just being a pain lol. I kept a diary of the all and it started to form a pattern.
    If he feels low I am sent for and he does his bloods, again I only record but if he is low I give him whatever it is he needs from his box so we can monitor what is eaten. It was harder in KS1 though as we didn't test his bloods or give injections as he wasn't that bad then but once he went into KS2 his whole needs changed.

We have the Diabetic nurse come into us once a year to go over the care plan and t make sure we are happy with everything, but nothing has changed much so it's straight forward enough now.

If you do feel uncomfortable doing this or nervous I would speak to the teacher or Head about your concerns.
    What I also found a big help was not from the meeting with the Nurse though, speaking to the child mum was a big help, and if I am ever concerned or unsure of something I have the mums mobile and house number in my mobile so I am allowed to contact her if needs be. Thankfully I haven't had to use it that often. I have found that the nurse always insists on doing this or that or not giving the child this, but I have always followed the mum's instructions, as at the end of the day, she is the one who knows her sons needs and what he responds to and what he doesn't respond to.

If you want to talk about anything I'm happy to talk to you, just drop me a message and I'll try my best :)