1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting LA Y5 English...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by msbumble, Sep 14, 2016.

1. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

Hi,

I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas/suggestions/advice. I am an NQT and have been given the LA English group. I'm really struggling to engage them in their work. We're currently reading Michael Morpurgo's Beowulf, linking with our Vikings topic. I made the mistake of choosing that version over a Tony Ross and Tony Bradman version, as I thought it would be more inspiring. But they just can't access it, we've done drama, drawing etc, and it's not happening!

We're doing this all the way to half term, and I want them to feel like they can manage. We start narrative writing next week, and I will record all of them telling their story before asking them to write it, so they can focus on the story first, and then the transcription. I've done this in the past with year 2s and it worked well.

Has anybody got any other suggestions for what I could be doing to ensure they can access it as best they can?

Thank you in advance!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I've used an animated version so the children have a visual idea too.
    is a reasonable version!

msbumble and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

I use that too! I find that the following draws the children in at the start:

- Desription of Grendel
    - Describe the way he comes out of the swamp, building suspense
    - Letter to Beowulf asking him to help

Giving their writing a purpose and linking it to the text seemed to inspire the majority. We used the Michael Morpurgo version and after a few weeks, they were re-enacting the story during break and lunchtimes! It doesn't seem as child-friendly, but mine love it year on year.

msbumble likes this.