1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting KS1 autistic children in mainstream school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Race123, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Hi
    I currently support an autistic child in mainstream school and find it quite challenging making sure the child has the benefit of lessons\activities within the classroom and working at the child's workstation. Achieving a balance so that the child is not isolated too much with me at his workstation and enjoying classroom activites without wondering around unable to focus a great deal on the lessons\activities laid out, bearing in mind the child should be given space and not shadowed all the time. Any advice please.

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi
    How long have you been supporting this child, and is it part time or full time.
    May I suggest if you are not doing this already, find out what his/her interests are. There is no point in keeping the child in lessons that are to challenging this will lead to a meltdown, are you given lesson plans say for example in maths, if so you could adjust these to suit the child for example counting, or number bonds to ten, you could use visual items that coincide with the childs interests, say child likes dinosaurs you could have a set of plastic ones and use these to count with. You could offer rewards for good efforts, this may be in way of stickers so many stickers per day will lead to a reward at certain parts of the day or at the end of the day. or using a small jigsaw say with four or five pieces each piece is given for good efforts and when the jigsaw is complete a reward is offered. The key thing is little and often with lessons, say ten or fifteen minutes then a break. A visual timetable helps, so the child knows what is expected of them and when. A good routine is also important, there are going to be times when this will not always be the case and this will usually lead to problems, so best to have a back up plan,this may involve removing the child from the classroom and focusing on just what interests the child, not ideal I know but it will save the child getting anxious and going into overload.

3. Hi,
    Just read this post as I was looking for ideas to help improve how my job share partner and I can support an autistic girl in year 1 and what you have written could have been written by us. I just wondered how the last year went (since you posted) and what helped to improve the situation for the child.
    Thanks.