1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting deputy head in move to headship.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sarahjoanned, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Dear Theo,

I am looking for a little bit of guidance on behalf of the teachers I work with. We work in a very challenging school, where there has historically been quite poor leadership. We have deputy headteacher who had been in post for two years. Although he is relatively new he is an exceptional deputy head and we would all very much like him to be our new headteacher as our current head is set to retire in the next academic year. My question is, is it allowed for teachers to write/ sign a letter of support to the governors for an internal applicant or is this something that would end up going against the candidate? We would just like them to be aware of the support he has, and to know why we feel he would be such a strong candidate. Ultimately if it is going to damage his chances we will all keep our mouths tight shut!

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How lucky your DHT is to have such supportive colleagues!

But this is a tricky question as it would all depend on the governors.

The best way to avoid antagonising them is to make the letter very brief, begin by saying that you have every confidence in the Governing Body to choose the right candidate to move the school forward, and that the staff as a whole will, of course, support and work co-operatively with whoever is appointed.

Then just one sentence in which you say that the staff would welcome the appointment of X as they believe that he has the skills to carry out the requirements of the post in the way that, you are sure, the GB would wish them to be carried out, for the overall benefit of the pupils.

Or words to that effect. But start off by saying that you will respect their decision.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Thank you for your advice... I knew this would be a minefield! Your idea sounds very balanced though and I hope it will help!