1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting Colleagues With Student Behaviour

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by hobbsy72, Sep 29, 2020.

1. hobbsy72

hobbsy72 New commenter

Hi, I was hoping to pick some brains and gather some advice. I feel somewhat useless sometimes when a colleague tells me that there having problems with a class or a student in particular. I teach at the same time they have them so cannot go into the lesson. The behaviour management team have the student on their radar, but my colleague sees them often before any action is taken. How do I support them remotely? How can I solve this problem for them?

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Make sure they know what the behaviour policy is and that they apply it consistently.

3. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

1. Let them know they can come to you and let off steam about said pupils
    2. Get copied into any correspondence sent to Behaviour team or HOY (staff member will feel supported)
    3. Do you have another member of staff free at that time who could offer moral support?
    4. Speak to the child as a HOD and explain that the behaviour now warrants a higher staff member intervening
    5. If parents come in could you be there as well for moral support?
    6. You cannot solve the problem but just allowing the staff member to know they are supported and someone has their back will really really help, also remind the staff member that they are not doing anything wrong before it starts to chip away at their confidence

tb9605 and strawbs like this.
  4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Great advice above.

More broadly, are expectations across the department consist across all teachers? Is there a consist approach to ensuring students meet those expectations?

Often inconsistency - which leads to students not knowing where the boundaries are - is the root cause. If it was a class that, last year, had a teacher perceived as laissez-faire, but this year has one perceived as strict, that might be why the current teacher is struggling with them.