1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting children with working memory difficulties 1:1

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by kwhitefabio, Sep 24, 2018.

1. kwhitefabio

kwhitefabio New commenter

I tutor a year 5 child with suspected dyslexic tendencies and working memory issues. We work 1:1 catching her up with maths and spelling to support her back in class. She currently has gaps in phase 3 and phase 5 phonics as well as struggling to learn her statutory words for year 5/6 and use them in context. I am also a year 5 teacher and am finding my intervention style of teaching isn't having a lasting impact. Is there anyone with ideas for short activities to work on with her to make the most of our 1 hour a week?
    Many thanks!

2. suzyshepster

suzyshepster New commenter

I play the game "I'm going on a picnic and I'm taking ..."
    It teaches strategies to help working memory, and you could also list things to take alphabetically?

3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I thought recommend this book:

Working Memory and Learning: A Practical Guide for Teachers

By Gathercole and Alloway

A very accessible book, with clear discussion of what we mean by working memory and strategies for supporting it.

Bumptious likes this.
  4. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Vocabulary maps can help by providing a hook for the word meaning to visual clue.

Any other work should be multi-sensory.

5. Sir_Henry

Do let us know how you get on and I am happy to expand upon my rather brief points from last night .

6. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

7. Sir_Henry

Hello Miss Penny lovely to see you.

8. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Lovely to see you too x

9. ladylyra

ladylyra New commenter

I used to do a really lovely activity with a child with memory issues where there were pictures of a series of objects and they had to come up with a story to help them remember them, then retell the story, then tell me the objects. They were a proper resource (ie not made up by me) but i can't for the life of me remember what it was called! We started with 4 and eventually worked up to 8 over the weeks