1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supporting children with English as an Additional Language

Discussion in 'Independent' started by LauraPearceKP, Dec 31, 2016.

1. LauraPearceKP

LauraPearceKP New commenter

I am currently a 3rd Year BEd student at Plymouth University and I am writing my extended essay/thesis on supporting children with English as an Additional Langauge (EAL) in primary geography. My main research question is "which teaching approaches are the most effective for scaffolding EAL learners within primary geography enquiries?" and my research investigates specifically:
    What is the effect of collaborative learning in supporting EAL learners within geographical enquiries?
    What is the effect of drama/speaking and listening in supporting EAL learners within geographical enquiries?
    What is the effect of books in supporting EAL learners within geographical enquiries?
    I need to conduct short 20 minute interviews based around teacher's perceptions of the effectiveness of the three different approaches. These can be conducted over Skype at at time that is the most convenient for you! I would be so incredibly grateful for any contribution!
    Please message me if you are interested! Thank you in advance my email address is laura.pearce-3@students.plymouth.ac.uk

dana_santos16 likes this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Like most things in the independent sector, TEAFL in the independent sector varies widely. My own school does none for the simple reason that pupils would never pass the entrance exam without a good knowlege of English (we do expect to see a high IELTS score for overseas students before sitting the entrance exam).

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same.
    We do have quite a few children for whom English is not their first language, relative to some independents, but you would never know it from their conversation or work.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We have a number of EAL students who take English language classes in addition to a regular curriculum; it's one aspect that makes our school unique - however, the majority of students from overseas have good English skills and are fully integrated within the academic curriculum. However, as I teach Latin (with some EFL/English as I have a CELTA), I can't help regarding Geography.

5. EAL - can anyone suggest a text (primary) to support pupils with EAL within the classroom.

6. ewindy

ewindy New commenter

Cambridge Global English is a great series of text book for EAL learners.