1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting a struggling NQT

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by technofunk, Aug 30, 2020.

1. technofunk

technofunk New commenter

Hello, I am hoping for advice. I am mentoring a struggling NQT in Scotland. Some issues: NQT has completed pgde and been placed in class . NQT has admitted they dont know how to forward plan at all -not even 2 consequtive lessons- can only plan one lesson at a time. Lessons are poorly delivered at the moment. NQT cannot manage class, including class set up, behaviour mgmt, no/ little knowledge of curriculum. NQT will not follow advice/instruction and challenges all taught teaching strategies... But NQT is motivated, caring and wants to succeed and has such a lovely manner with the children. How do I teach NQT how to teach? Where do I start?

2. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Why are they not following advice?

You need to help them plan a sequence of lessons. Sit down together and map out the learning objectives and point them in the right direction of good resources, get together again and check what they have written. Get them to talk through their lessons with you. My mentor used to let me do this all the time and t

Behaviour needs to be nipped in the bud. Have they read the behaviour policy and observed other teachers?

It seems like this NQT just has a severe lack of confidence and just needs the right guidance.

3. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

What did they learn in the PGDE?!?!?
    Maybe try getting them to observe of your and other peoples 'good' lessons and ask them to point out WHY it was a good lesson.
    Have you asked them how they think they are getting on?
    If they think they are doing amazingly it's time for a very clear conversation with them, if they admit to needing help then a frank conversation but obviously with pointers.
    Perhaps give them one thing to address each week and set mini targets, meet once a week and be clear on YOUR expectations.
    Do you have a school behaviour policy? Are they confident in using it? Are they confident using rewards?

4. technofunk

technofunk New commenter

Sorry for the delay in getting back on here and thank you for the responses. I have had several frank conversations so far that have now led us to agree a shared planning/ team teaching path. I feel that, as a direct result of covid, I will not be the only person in this predicament this year. To answer your question- no they are not confidently following policies but I am seeing very slow progress with another teacher supporting full time. I will take all advice on board. Much appreciated.

5. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

A lovely manner is something that can't be learned or trained. Count it as a good start and with motivation on their part and support on yours, hopefully you can make progress.

Admitting they don't know how to do something might be a confidence thing and believing that everybody else does it better. Poor classroom management is also often a consequence of lack of confidence. I definitely agree that working on planning together could make a huge difference.

Good luck to both of you