1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supporting a child in Y1 with ADHD ad Global Delay

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by katie7580, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I'm in the first term of my teacher training and have been placed in a year 1 class and have a child in the class with ADHD and Global Delay, the child's statement is currently pending so there is no formal 1:1 support for them and I was wondering if anybody had some advice on the best way to support the child's learning. They are currently operating at an age of around 36 months and are not able to access the activities in the lessons I have observed. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have an activity set up that was related to the lessons/topics being covered that they would be able to access, particularly during carpet sessions where they find it extremely hard to sit. Any advice on how to manage this situation would be much appreciated. Support is available in the class, we have a superb TA but her role is not supposed to be 1:1 and she is often assigned to work with groups.

2. I'm in the first term of my teacher training and have been placed in a year 1 class and have a child in the class with ADHD and Global Delay, the child's statement is currently pending so there is no formal 1:1 support for them and I was wondering if anybody had some advice on the best way to support the child's learning. They are currently operating at an age of around 36 months and are not able to access the activities in the lessons I have observed. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have an activity set up that was related to the lessons/topics being covered that they would be able to access, particularly during carpet sessions where they find it extremely hard to sit. Any advice on how to manage this situation would be much appreciated. Support is available in the class, we have a superb TA but her role is not supposed to be 1:1 and she is often assigned to work with groups.

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

It is so unfair what teachers are meant to do! If you DID have a 3 yr old in the room, would anyone expect that child to follow a task (however appropriate) without regular supervision and encouragement? Teachers are 'meant' to set up the differentiated material and ensure everyone gets an education - never mind how many differentiated curricula/children there are. As I have regularly worked with children of this spec, I know how much time the prep takes to achieve anything. Some of my resources in Special Needs may be useful but one has to bear in mind the language level of the curriculum includes concepts way beyond the child's likely competence so the relationship to the topic has to be fairly elastic! Looking at the P Levels may help you to work backwards from where the others are performing. While trying to be supportive to this child, it is unrealisatic to spend a heavily disproportionate amount of time on one of the whole group. Is there no similar child in the school? You could perhaps piggyback on another teacher's previous ideas for the same year group!
    Just on a safety angle, can you not hold out for more TA support? Sooner or later parents will be muttering that one child is taking up TA time that should be shared between all!
    Good luck and seek support.