1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newposter, Feb 8, 2016.

1. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

One word. A simple word. Why does it bring such dread and loathing? Does anybody in the profession still understand what it actually means? To almost all 'leaders' these days it seems to mean observations, taking time with meetings, looking through your books, and talking to colleagues and kids about you. How has the word 'support' become a euphemism for 'managed out by someone half your age and experience'?.

lanokia, petenewton, Alf58 and 3 others like this.
  2. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

It's the same kind of doublethink that makes 'satisfactory' now 'requires improvement'. Orwell certainly was telling us what we already know and continues to do so.

'War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.'

This could well be the mantra for many in modern schools.

lanokia and cissy3 like this.
  3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

The 'Support plan' also just means you will be observed to death or until you vote with your feet.

Support in schools is anything but.

lanokia, petenewton, Alf58 and 2 others like this.
  4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Often a sign your time is coming. Though done well it can be beneficial for all parties.
    Having genuinely supported staff (informally and with SLT direction), the last thing I would ever want to do is be the very thing I dislike in the system. There are some of us good'uns left trying to hold the fort (though how many of us there are and how long we can keep on is another issue).

lanokia likes this.
  5. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I have not seen any support plans in my own school but have seen a few from my husband ( may I add in his forties - always good/outstanding until last couple of years). SSP really? I'm proposing we rename them IPP ( increased pressure plan). They are a joke. Increased observations, book scrutinies, learning walks, monitoring planning, pupil voice etc. How is this support? Come on unions! Please - I beg you to do something about these. Things MUST change.

1 person likes this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Mrs Cazorla and I visited a friend of hers who was distraught about being "PUT ON A SUPPORT PACKAGE".
    Needless to say my pathetic efforts to explain that the support package might actually be errmmm... supportive were derided by all present.

lanokia likes this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Unions are doing something, the Actions short of Strike Action are full of restricting the amount of observations etc.
    Tragically this relies on a reasonable number of staff backing the Union Rep to stick his head over parapet and act on their behalf. Most of the supportive schools seem to support away the Reps first.

monicabilongame and lanokia like this.