1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support the OU

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Dec 1, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

So not available to all...
    And this makes it different to other institutions facing cuts because....?
    I tutored for the OU for a while. I think they don't offer great value for money. The workbooks used were static, simplistic and unhelpful. A sizeable number of students were manifestly unsuited to the course.

I don't have anything against the OU but I don't see why they should be exempted from the cuts that will apply to other institutions.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Not 'just the OU', Bob. Lots of services and public institutions are threatened by current and proposed cuts and we must fight for them too.
    I would not have completed my degree without the OU and could not have become a teacher.
    Two of my daughters are studying with OU while working full time, because our faith prohibits taking interest-bearing loans. Without the OU they wouldn't be able to work for their degrees at all.

Please let's have as many signatures as possible to show our support for this vital institution.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Fair enough.

5. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Off-topic. Doesn't that make purchasing expensive items extremely difficult (homes and cars, being the most obvious).

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I was one of the first cohort (1994-95) to do a PGCE with the OU. It was not an easy option but the self discipline and determination needed was good grounding for life in the classroom!

7. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I did my degree with the OU because I couldn't afford to give up work and re-train as a teacher. I was very lucky in that my ex-employers paid the vast majority of the fee, as they did for three of us, only to find that we all left to do PGCEs upon completing our degrees! Philathropy did then still exist in the textile industry, alas the same opportunities are no longer.
    I'm happy to sign the petition to support what I think is likely to become the norm rather than the exception over the next few years.

8. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Because it's the funding for teaching that has gone and which has to be replaced by fees and loans which now also apply to PT students. The OU is not research intensive so will not raise huge sums from research when compared to the numbers it teaches.

There is a real danger that an institution that has been a beacon for mass education (and possibly the greatest post WW2 government achievement after the NHS) will start to unravel. As it is a democratising institution, the Tories would probably welcome this.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Mass education of those who can afford the fees. It is how it has always been. The new fee arrangements mean that PT students can get tuition fees loans etc.
    I know plenty of people who have undertaken OU courses in their retirement, as something to do. Why should taxpayers subsidise this hobby?

10. I am personally very grateful to the OU. Studying with them certainly moved my career along.
    Studying with them allowed my son to get a place at a RG Uni. He had been failed by his Language College, leaving with an F at GCSE in Spanish. Thanks to the OU he is in his 4th year studying Spanish and doing very well.
    That now includes me. The OU keeps me mentally fit and that applies to many of the great people I have met through my studies. It would be a tragedy if this fantastic resource was removed. A drop in the ocean when you consider the billions wasted each year through just PFI initiatives.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

That is great. It truly is. It is not being removed. It is just that the cost is being placed with the person using the service.

12. It won't work that way though. If OU study serves to advance your career, you can justify paying the fees which are going to triple. However pensioners are not in that situation. Fixed incomes are currently declining for many people. That does not lend itself to paying triple fees.

13. I wonder what subject you tutored in. I have studied 2 technology courses which were both very interactive and multi-media. I have just finished an Italian course which although it had a text book, also used video for aural comprehension which was great. It also offered online practice activities for learning vocab and grammatical structures. There were online tutorials and the oral exam also involved an online discussion with other students. So the picture you paint seems unfamiliar to me, but maybe I have been lucky in my choice of courses.