1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support Strategies to Engage SEND learners & Challenging Behaviour

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lauralouxxx, Jan 12, 2016.

1. lauralouxxx

lauralouxxx New commenter

Just wondered if anyone could help me, I am a teaching assistant hoping to get a job working with students with special educational needs and disabilities.

What support strategies do people use to successfully engage learners with special educational needs?

Also what techniques are best when dealing with challenging behaviour?

Any advice would be great.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Most settings should have a Behaviour for Learning policy and it is important that staff aim for consistency in adhering to it. It 's an essential point of reference for any new entrant to the profession. Re SEND -it's a label which references lots of categories of need and on a huge spectrum so there will be many strategies which overlap and some will address a specific difficulty.Google is your friend so look at the net for strategies to aid students with MLD,ASD, SpLD and BEMH for example and crucially show some initiative and do your research.

3. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

As said above, it completely depends on the students; their needs, their level of understanding, their ability to communicate.

For most of my ASD learners the way to engage them is to have a distraction free environment with very structured tasks (read up on TEACCH to learn more about this). A PMLD student would probably nrrd a highly stimulating environment to be able to engage.
    Behaviour wise... My ASD learners respond well to visuals of the class rules (good sitting, kind hands, good work) and specific praise. They also respond well to "I am working for..." visuals.
    Using social stories also helps my students greatly to manage behaviour.