1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Support staff' supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Geoteach0027, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Geoteach0027

Geoteach0027 New commenter

I completed PGCE last summer. Since then I have had 2 days teaching supply and offers of non teaching (ta and cs). Due to circumstances I am only doing advanced bookings but am considering telling agency I will only do supply teaching as I think I'm being strung along a little and am able to survive off pt job outside teaching. Has anybody turned around and told agency I'm a teacher so will only take teaching supply or is it seen as blacklisting yourself?

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

South West England, I'm signed with a few agencies and have been with them for a number of years now so I guess that I must be quite near the top of their lists. I also do some work directly with a school. Whilst science is my subject I am happy to cover any subject and even though I am secondary trained I wiil do the odd day primary if asked.
    I'm also prepared to do half days and go to almost any school (one or two I refuse to but thats more because Family and Friends send their kids there and I want to avoid personnel and professional lifes clashing as opposed to poor standards within schools). I'm also prepared to travel up to 40 or so miles . I have even been called at around 11.30 for an afternoon booking and been prepared to take that.
    Its largely down to luck and I do get the quiet weeks at the start and end of terms but I also think that being very flexible and prepared to take almost any booking helps build good relationships with agencies and schools.
    But I have noticed some drop off in the amount of work around and I am concerned about how much longer my luck will last.

3. SARAHC3

SARAHC3 New commenter

My experience is that there's plenty of pre-booked work avaiable for primary supply. Although it does help to put you in the agency's good books if you also do supply from a morning booking.I'm in the Hounslow/Slough are.

4. Geoteach0027

Geoteach0027 New commenter

I have until recently been able to do morning phonecall jobs and have only picked up 3 teaching days and 4 support days since October: I live in NW and am well placed commuting wise but seem to hardly get any work (secondary)

5. The one thing I've never been pushed to do is take TA work - I've been offered it on occasion, and sometimes taken it (when it was good experience for me - like a day in an autistic unit attached to a mainstream school I did a lot of work in), more often than not I've turned it down with no comebacks.
    The no morning calls thing is probably going more against you to be honest - I can't do them anymore (need to share a car now so need forewarning) - agencies seem to have really got it in for those who won't do last minute stuff nowadays ... the era when I did very well for years doing pre-booked only seems to have well and truly died.