1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support staff job description query

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cleobud, Aug 20, 2018.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

I have a support staff member who is NNEB qualified who has no evidence of a job description in her file. She has been at the school for a very long time and is almost on the same salary as an NQT. Would I be able to put in her new job description to cover classes occasionally in other year groups other than in Early Years?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think that would have to be by negotiation. See what your HR says about it.

3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

My gut instinct is that the lack of a job description probably doesn't mean that her job is non-comparable to other staff in the same role, regardless of what they are being paid.

A 'new' job description would probably require a negotiation and consent on the support worker's part. Such a negotiation will probably begin with the support worker asking if you intend to give them a raise for the additional responsibility!

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

In our LA this sort of issue was sorted out ten years ago with all support roles being reassessed against modern criteria in a workforce remodelling initiative. It was long and complicated and some schools had NNEB qualified staff that were downgraded (with some salary protection). Think about what you think/want her job role to include and how it compares to others then seek HR advice.