1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

support plan query

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jibberjabber77, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

can an home tell me the difference between informal support plan and a formal support plan
    is the second one capability and if so do I resign if it enters the second one??? any help would be appreciated

2. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

You need to get union advice and go through all your school documents relating to this issue ASAP
    Am I right in assuming that you have been place on an informal support plan. If so the school should have referred you to the relevant school policies at the time.
    My understanding is that an informal support plan does not go on your record, and you do not need to disclose this if you change jobs unless it relates to a safeguarding issue, and then only a proven issue. Remember you still need to check this info - I am only sharing my understanding and others will know more details of how this works.
    A formal support plan is the next stage after an informal, assuming you failed to achieved the targets for your informal plan. This is more serious and can lead to formal capability and dismissal.
    As I said you need to go through relevant school documents and get union advice.
    Were you informed about this on Friday just before going home? - sorry if that is the case - if you look at similar posts on this site you will see that this is one of the particularly dirty tricks that some HT's pull in order to undermine a member of staff and keep them off balance.
    Please try to be positive - others have experienced the same situation - Get advice and come back to this discussion with more info if you feel happy about sharing with us. There is lots of support and good advice available here.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Hi Jibberjabber77.
    A Head's perspective:
    - informal is what I strive to offer staff every day
    - an informal plan means I've got some worries about your performance that are more significant than the just several off lesson/books suggest, so I want to help by putting some extra support your way, which is a bit more focussed e.g. every week for Term 5 the DH will work with you on planning English lessons, so we can get that differentiation cracked.
    - structured support means the informal plan (or even plans) didn't work and I've got more concerns now because things are not improving/more worries have surfaced. There will be a formal meeting with your union to decide if this is the correct approach, or whether more informal would be better. We agree the areas of concern, and how I'm going to put things in place to help you. Your targets are clearly laid out, along with what you need to do to meet them. You will be supported, but you have to demonstrate you are making progress against the areas of concern - and in the latter stages, that you can do it on your own
    - capability. This is when structured support isn't having the desired outcomes - but essentially the planning process is the same re targets etc. If not effective, this could lead into dismissal.
    I hope that helps - do check out your school's appraisal and managing performance policies to be sure what could happen at your place.
    Finally, I hope you get the support you need to be the best teacher you can be. And that includes some support for mental well being during this process - as if that isn't there, the rest becomes even harder.
    Take care.

tamimara, Sinnamon, bevdex and 15 others like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Can the mods pin that post to the top of the board? It could help a lot of people.

Thanks to @cornflake

I haven't seen it so clearly explained before. And in "human" terms rather than legalese.

5. jibberjabber77

thanks so much, a lot of my issues were due to WRS. I have time off and feel a lot better now just need to prove I am back to normal in terms of teaching. i don't feel that the obvs I have before I was off are representative of my standards but am worried that's the evidence they are going to use

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But you may not be 'back to normal' just yet. Your body and mind take time to heal.

Imagine you had broken your leg. Would you be 'back to normal' at your weekly step class as soon as the cast was off? Of course not.

It takes time to rebuild your strength and, if your school are as supportive as @cornflake , an informal plan could be just what you need.

But, from your other threads and posts, your school don't seem to be perfectly supportive, so maybe continue to apply for other posts in the meantime.

7. jibberjabber77

This has really set me back, i have never ever been anywhere near this at any point of my 16 year career (always getting G or OS on lesson obs. Just so tempted to hand in my notice and say stuff it,i mean whats the point in putting all the effort to get back to work for them to do this? i mean this kind of thing is going to destroy my career and i am not sure really what to do at the moment

8. jibberjabber77

Problem is that i had an informal plan before i went off with wrs, they are talking about taking it further to more formal plan, which to me is capability and the end of my career in teaching

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. menhir

menhir New commenter

I would definitely get union advice and start looking for another job. Once these support plans begin they hang over your head. If you have had WRS recently and your school are already talking formal plan I think they are either callous or they want you gone for whatever reason. Speak to your union for further advice and do not attend any meeting without support, ideally go with a union official if required to attend. This seems very cruel to hit you with a plan so soon after returning back to work. Look after you and try to get out ASAP. Good luck

10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] You have painted a picture of a handsome, dapper Victorian gentleman; a fantastical world of so-called fair assessments, idealistic ‘indicators’ and fair play. In truth, it is Dorian Gray. In all senses. Up in the academy attic, we see poison, bullying, corruption and abuse of the system. Ah, capability. Rarely follows the above stages. So, so easy to manipulate. Looks pretty and charming but is actually a fundamentally unfair and unmonitored system run by self-interested and frequently inept SLT who rarely teach and just want to cut and save cash. Yeah, yeah, Heads can all strive to offer bonhomie and informality to their staff every day...Phil Green could also donate millions to charity and Piers Morgan could learn to button it. Thing is, it HARDLY EVER HAPPENS. Misuse of the capability system, thirsting for unattainable and impossible to maintain ‘improvements’...well...it has destroyed teaching. Nobody can tell me otherwise. As a tutor in a large city, the amount of rubbish, unquakified rapid-turnover teaching and mismanagement that has seeped into education now and damaged the kids’ attainment is horrifying. Performance review that.

JohnJCazorla, kega123 and tenpast7 like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

My lot waited a fortnight after I returned - now, I realise, far too soon- from sick leave. They had stalled informal then moved straight onto formal. No warning, no acceptance of ill health having OBVIOUSLY impacted on the sacred cow of performance, nothing. Do not trust them and start looking now...better to get an offer from a new job and offer then the chance to negotiate a half term escape plan. It is all about money and cuts.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

This is part of the way it is often misapplied. I got regular goods and outstandings. Yep, they used the satisfactory they got when i had just come back from the surgery. They should not have even been observing! They will not give you special treatment on return from WRS...they argue that if your are signed on to work, you are well enough for the Capability Campaign to commence.

HolyMahogany and agathamorse like this.
  13. jibberjabber77

tbh after being upset for last few days and now speaking to my union am determined to get out of there. it's no coincidence that the stress and issues are solely caused by my workplace being a toxic one, just need to figure out a satisfactory exit plan

agathamorse likes this.
  14. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

jibberjabber... you need support, so you can get "back to normal"... not pressure to prove it.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

To put it as politely as possible, this is absurdly rose tinted. 'Support' in schools is a euphemism for abuse. It is entirely unregulated, subjective, in the gift of the head and almost universally used to either browbeat teachers into submitting to whatever workload management think will push their results up 1/2% or to get rid. There is no appeal. It is grotesque that management have this power. It is a bullies wet dream.

16. Teslasmate

There is no such thing as informal support. You are on stage 1 of capability. If you have had wrs it is likely you have been labelled 'difficult' or 'expensive' and they have decided to get rid of you. If you choose to fight it the reward will be minuscule, but it's highly unlikely you will win because the game is rigged. You would be wise to leave asap.
    In the meantime, union. Write down anything a suit says to you in an email and copy it to your personal email address the school can't get at "In the maths corridor at 12.34pm on thursday 9/5/19 you said to me.... What action would you like me to take as a result of your comments"? Never meet a suit alone, always have a witness. If they won't allow that (because they are evil scheming sdratsab) then record it, covertly if necessary. Say nothing to anyone about anything.
    The good news is that despite management believing themselves demigods for whom you should be honoured to work, they are big fish in a tiny pond. There is a whole world outside the school gates where they have no power to abuse you.

17. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

What a terrible way to treat hardworking staff who regularly go "above and beyond" to help these young people.
    It makes me feel physically sick.

Mrsmumbles, agathamorse and lardylegs like this.
  18. jibberjabber77

yeh contacted union and looking for new job should of left after first term last year, already knew then it was horrible, but tried to work through it bey heyho here I am

19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This is most definitely not correct in all schools.
    If you refer to everyone in a leadership role in this way, then you could well be making the problem worse.

20. Teslasmate

I will concede there may be a school or two somewhere where 'support' is intended to be supportive. I would draw your attention to a subtlety in my post. I was not referring to all managers as evil scheming sdratsab, merely suggesting the possibility that the management at OPs schools are. As it happens, the number of ignorant, self serving, grasping, back stabbing, lazy, stupid weasels in management has exploded in recent years. There are undoubtedly some managers doing their best in difficult circumstances. There are many that are not.
    Problem is, managers have far too much power over teachers now. The bad ones can cause exponentially more damage.
    I don't refer to managers openly this way at work of course, but don't ever try to tell me what to think.

Mrsmumbles and tenpast7 like this.