1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support Level 7 or Unqualified Teacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by littlemisssauce, Oct 26, 2018.

1. littlemisssauce

littlemisssauce New commenter

Hi All,
    I’m wondering if anyone can help me as I’m feeling quite lost in the world of teaching at the moment and could do with some help. I’ve come into teaching quite late as I gave up my career in London to bring up my children. Found myself volunteering at the school and then working at the school. I started part-time pro-rata 3.5 days a week as the IT technician on a level 5. This moved to full-time prorata for 2/3 years. This year I took on the role of IT Curriculum Lead and now delivering the curriculum covering PPA from years 1-6 teaching for 3.5 days a week. They moved me to level 4/5 unqualified teacher full time as of Sept this year but I’m still waiting for my contract to sign...... following on from a meeting yesterday they would like to move me back on a support role at level 7 as I have scope to move up to 29,990 but as an unqualified teacher I hit the roof at 27,261. The level 7 job description will have a teaching added to it. The head said that this would give me scope to earn higher and if I stay as an unqualified teacher I will be held accountable under the teaching pay and conditions (which I really have not read yet so unaware of the implications of this). I’m not sure which way to go. Can you help me please to make the right choice. Also my local government pension stopped and I’m now paying into a teachers pension. Should I fight to keep a teachers pension as no one at both pension teams can help.... thank you for reading this long post and really hope you can help me.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

So you haven't hit the roof on the unqualified scale yet?
    I think you should be talking to them about on-the-job teacher training - then you can move onto the qualified teacher scale in due course.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

You can do an Assessment Only QTS for about 3k (a loan perhaps?) and it takes about 3 months and you become qualified so no more of those salary ceilings.

Or move to an independent, free school or academy where you can be paid as a teacher regardless of QTS.