1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

support in top set

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by charmedimsure, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I am working with a young man in yr 10 top set English. He does not want me sitting next to him during lessons but the teacher does not want me 'wandering around' either! He has ASD and dyspraxia so mostly I'm making sure he is taking correct notes, organising his work and making sure he is O.K. in group work.

2. Sounds like you are doing a good job. Yr 10 kids are always going to hate being singled out as someone different - and you're the one that's making him stand out!
    Maybe sit yourself somewhere nearby where if he needs you , you can swivel across and help out, but if he's coping by himself, use the time to do some planning for a later date.

3. Charming.

4. I don't mind a swivel now and again! Usually in most of his classes I either sit at the back or by the teacher while they are talking and then I will 'wander' round the class when they start to work and will respond, where I can to requests for help. Always making sure that the young man has started working and knows what he is doing. This way it doesn't appear that I'm there just for him and it suits his way of working. However in the English class the teacher wants me to sit next to him as she feels wandering around or sitting away from him and 'shouting' over to him will disturb the rest of the class! She is a very experienced teacher and likes her class set up in a particular way but it doesn't work for my pupil.