1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support in Ks3 Assessments

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by kseazell, Jan 22, 2018.

1. kseazell

kseazell New commenter

Hi All,

As a single member department I wanted to pick some brains if possible. I am looking at developing my KS3 assessments to be in line with the new GCSE. I am happy with the assessments I have but what I am finding really difficult is deciding the amount of support to give pupils when completing a writing assessment. I am torn between nothing (where the majority panic and complete waffle) and too much so it is just not their own work but copied from something they have prepared with their classwork in front of them.

I was hoping people could suggest the way it is completed in their school?
    Thanks!

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Here's an explanation of what we do - may make more sense if you just look at the attached...
    First part of test: Teacher gives list in English of key structures and vocab that expected to be used. Pupils fill in the ones they know in test conditions.
    Second part of test: Pupils given 5 minutes to find any missing structures/vocab in their booklet. They put these in a separate column so the teacher knows what they could do from memory/needed to look up
    Third part of test: Pupils do writing using the crib sheet they have created. It also helps make sure they build answers from the structures they DO know.
    Marking: The writing and the crib sheet are both handed in together. The teacher can clearly see how much is from memorised language.
    Means all pupils usefully spend the time writing, with the level of support they need.

As you can see on the attached, our writing marking criteria are linked to the quality of the work, but also to the degree of support the pupil currently requires.

Attached Files: