1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support for the dissolution of OFSTED

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Do you think OFSTED should be dissolved?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Can't decide

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I would like to see the dissolution of the QUANGO OFSTED.

Prior to OFSTED schools were inspected by Her Majesty's Inspecorate (HMI). HMI showed immense integrity in the face of government pressure to find "bad teachers"

OFSTED was set up by the adulterer Chris Woodhead, who was later revealed to have had an affair with a sith former. Woodhead claimed that there were as many as 15000 incompetent teachers. Despite being appointed chief of the Quango OFSTED he and his QUANGO spectacularly failed to find these "bad teachers"

https://www.bbc.com/news/10464617

So Either Woodhead was lying about there 15000 incompetent teachers or he and the QUANGO were totally incompetent when it comes to finding all these supposed bad teachers.

This unprofessional culture of mistrust has never really left OFSTED. for example OFSTED does not believe its own inspectors.

https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-doesnt-trust-its-own-behaviour-findings

OFSTED inspectors, speaking from personal experience, lack consistency and cause the creation of pointless work by asking for things which then become additional workload for teachers. For example triple/deep marking was certainly seized upon school management teams across the country; so much so that eventually OFSTED had to officially deny it to stop their own inspectors asking for it.

The continued existence of QUANGO set up on the premise that there are huge numbers of bad teachers is toxic to education in the UK.

The unnecessary stress that school staff are caused by OFSTED inspections is severely detrimental to teachers and teacher retention in the UK.

The media in the UK shares responsibility for the current state of play with their constant negative spin. The irony, for me anyway, is much of what teacher do that is criticised has been foisted upon the teaching profession by OFSTED, a QUANGO that never seems to accept responsility for the mess that it constantly creates.

Other changes would help education in the UK but the dissolution of OFSTED and a return to HMI with their discreet approach of how to improve things.

If anyone wants to copy and paste this for a UK petition to abolish OFSTED, please feel free.

If you have strong opinions on OFSTED please vent your spleen on this thread.

HelenREMfan and cissy3 like this.
  2. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I wouldn't completely abolish them. Just reduce their role to child protection and related issues.

3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Why?

4. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Because of the rest of my response. There are many good reasons to have independent oversight of child protection. This should also be a sharing of good practice and lessons learnt but the rest of their remit is a waste of time.

Mind you, I don't say they do this well now but perhaps with a more narrow focus, they could.

5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

So this thread has been moved to personal forum.

How is this personal? I originally posted it in

Shape the agenda
    Here, teacher voice meets policymaking. This forum is dedicated to giving teachers and other education professionals the opportunity to have their say in the formation of education policy. Share your views here. Your thoughts today, could be the policy of tomorrow.

So how is the dissolution of OFSTED personal?

chelsea2 likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A Sith former?

Did she have her revenge?

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

School managers have a lot to answer for in their interpretation of Ofsted requirements, often extrapolating ad infinitum (or absurdum!)........and subsequently loading staff with all this excrement.

afterdark likes this.
  8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

The wife seemed to.

nomad likes this.
  9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

What would you suggest as an alternative? There has to be some regulation and overseeing of what goes on in schools.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

11. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Yes this is the answer.

We are assessed three ways, by OFSTED, by League Table and by our schools. We only need one of those.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I always felt supported with our HMI.

Never did with Ofsted. :(

13. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

The purpose of this new forum is very unclear. Apparently relevant threads get moved out and sometimes back in again for no obvious reason and with no explanation.

You'll probably get more views and replies on "personal" although it is clearly the wrong forum.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Actually, Ofsted was set up under government of John Major, concerned about variable local inspection regime. It introduced a national scheme of inspections though a reconstituted HMI as a result of the Education (Schools) Act 1992 and which became Ofsted.

Woodhead was not appointed until 1994.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Well said OP re Chris Woodhead....not enough is kept in the public mind re that hypocrite.
    Our school having had 2 excellent Ofsteds had a 3rd 2 weeks into the autumn term under new guidelines. We had been dumped with a 'last man standing' at interviews for a HT (the previous one was at the school only long enough to spend nearly all reserves of £££s fixing himself the most impressive CV on our cash - changing every system in the school - all having served us and worked well, so he could state how much he had innovated) Well...considering that the authority had planned in its 'wisdom' that they needed to get rid of 2 secondary schools on our side of the borough. (With any foresight they might have noticed that yes there was a dip in school aged children covering a relatively short time period but the evidence was there for quite some growth after that! Heigh ho though as we cannot possibly expect LAs to plan (do they actually plan I wonder) more than 2 minutes ahead?

Anyway.... we were put into special measures. To ensure our demise they didn't remove this new head (who was proved to have woeful action plan etc) another way of getting another nail in our coffin and when they finally did golden handshake him goodbye the damage was done. We were chosen for closure and ....Ofsted certainly played role in that. So I won't be sorry to see it go.

A close student day friend who was looking to leave teaching after a career in the PE saddle like me went on a course for Ofsted inspectors. Her words to me were that there was no way she would ever have to associate professionally with the people she saw on that course and no way would she wish to join any Ofsted team.

Following Maggie's snotting by the teacher action of the 80s the Tories (with some help from their crony Blair) set out to make sure teachers never raised their heads above the parapets again!!! Ofsted was a major part of that and remains so.

afterdark and Ivartheboneless like this.
  16. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I guess you did not read post 1 in full.

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

That was my impression.

18. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

So you have a quibble about the chronology. If he did not set it up then fine. I was rather busy learning my craft as teacher at the time. I do not recall his predecessor. Nor his successor.

However his pronouncement about 15000 incompetent teachers has endured. As has the media myth about "bad teachers".

Very Tory of you to totally ignore everything else. You might think OFSTED is the bee's knees but amongst the teaching profession I find it veyr rare to hear anyone with a good word to say about OFSTED.

I still think OFSTED is QUANGO that was predicated on there being "bad teachers" and the John Major's "concerned about variable local inspection regimes" was merely code for lets have witch hunt to find all these bad teachers. Along came 15000 "bad teachers" Woodhead and the government appointed him to lead the charge.

19. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I did read the post in full, thank you.
    I was merely asking to see what other ideas people might have in addition / as an alternative to bringing back HMI.

nomad likes this.
  20. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

My time line is a bit hazy too as I was teaching abroad when it came in. But I have a feeling the dreaded Woodhead was kept on by the Labour Sec of State David Blunkett! Labour don’t have a good track record as far as Ofsted are concerned either. That was then. Let’s hope they have more sense than to waste money on them today. Just think of money that could be well spent without Ofsted, SATs and Academy Trusts.

nomad likes this.