1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support for teachers with young children of their own?

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by aspoonfulofsugar, May 18, 2020.

1. aspoonfulofsugar

aspoonfulofsugar New commenter

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else already, but I couldn't find it. Me and my other half are both teachers. We have a 19 month old, whose nursery isn't open until at least 1st June, which is when we're both expected back at work (though I've been at work over a week already for key worker provision, doing 7:30-6pm days and my other half is trying her best to get work done at home while looking after our son! I'll be continuing to work these long days until Friday 29th May). Our son hasn't been in nursery for about two months now and we're concerned about him going back 3.5 days a week as he was doing.

Does anyone know if there is any government / union advice about what we can / should do in this situation? Are we able to say we don't want to send our child back to this extent (3.5 days a week) yet and would prefer to 'share' time at home with him as he eases back in to nursery?

Any advice or links to advice would be very welcome.

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Are you working over half term? Could you possibly see if you can negotiate some TOIL to settle him back in at nursery?

Unpaid leave may be an option or a temporary reduction in working hours but these are both at the discretion of your headteachers so you'll need to speak to them.

I think, realistically, your son is going to have to go back to nursery for the 3.5 days a week but a reasonable head teacher might work with you to allow for some settling in time before going the full 3.5 days.

aspoonfulofsugar likes this.
  3. Outdoorman

Outdoorman New commenter

I appreciate that this is not easy and I do not have a solution for you, sorry that not the answer you are looking for.
    Many teachers are going to find problems for instance we both work and have year 2 & 5 children. However, the school that they are going to is not really playing fair with Key Worker provision after June 1st as they say they don't have enough space for all the priority classes.