1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

support for teacher traning application

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Eulaliebuba, Jul 22, 2015.

1. I need help how I can make my PGCE math application successful. Basically, I have an undergraduate degree in Social Policy Study and I would like to apply for maths teaching training. The reason I have chosen maths is because I did very well in math and gained distinction for the secondary State Diploma. This is a high level , which leads to university in RDC. However,the UK Naric is considered my secondary qualification comparable to GCSE (grade A* to C)/ Scotish 5 Standard which is just the equivalent to GCSE. I am very confused right now because looking at A level Maths modules are same as what studied 10 years ago in RDC. Do you have any particular advice regarding this ?

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Yes - look at some A-level papers and try a few; I use examsolutions.net (for recreational purposes only as I don't teach A-level) which is an excellent site. If the standard is similar as you say, perhaps include a couple of sample questions from each system to demonstrate this.

But just as importantly, spend as much time as possible in schools. This will show interviewers that you are serious (and may help you decide which sort of school you want to work in).

PGCE providers are often over-subscribed, and showing that you have done some volunteering, for example, with summer camps perhaps, or indeed anything that shows commitment to young people might help set your application apart from others.

Good luck.