1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support For Spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sarah_26, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hey guys need urgent help.
    Got an email at 7pm last night inviting me to interview tomorrow. EEEK.
    I have been asked to plan a session from Support for spelling Year 2, Term 3 and it says in the letter that the focus of this unit is to learn how to add common inflections (suffixes) to words but looking at it thats from term 2. Have they updated support for spelling or have the school got their wires crossed or more likely have I got my wires crossed. Too late to phone the school and getting rather stressed. If I understood this I could plan my session but don't want to spend ages planning the wrong thing.
    Please please please help.
    Sarah

2. Hey guys need urgent help.
    Got an email at 7pm last night inviting me to interview tomorrow. EEEK.
    I have been asked to plan a session from Support for spelling Year 2, Term 3 and it says in the letter that the focus of this unit is to learn how to add common inflections (suffixes) to words but looking at it thats from term 2. Have they updated support for spelling or have the school got their wires crossed or more likely have I got my wires crossed. Too late to phone the school and getting rather stressed. If I understood this I could plan my session but don't want to spend ages planning the wrong thing.
    Please please please help.
    Sarah

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Hi
    It could be that the Year 2 class didn't start Support for Spelling until later in the year, maybe they spent Autumn Term consolidating Phase 5 Letters and Sounds for example.
    If it's an error in the email then all candidates will have got it. Would it be a nightmare to plan 2 sessions? Maybe one on the suffixes and one on prefixes which is a term 3 objective?

4. It shows a sign of my stress levels that I hadn't even considered just backing myself up by doing two plans. DUH. got myself in a flap with the short preperation time.
    Thank you.

5. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

You're welcome and lots of luck!

6. Or maybe they mean the term 3 part ii bit, (which would fit the timing if they are keeping up with Supp for Sp) about compound words, which includes revisiting suffixes " This unit offers opportunities to consolidate earlier learning: compound words, suffixes and prefixes"
    Maybe best as clawthorpegirl suggests to have something for both - you could plan more or less the same activity, but using different words, depending on which they really wanted?
    I do work on compound words with the children that I support in year 1 (who are still not secure with phase 5, but they can cope with compound words as long as they don't include tricky digraphs), so it shouldn't be too hard even if they've not quite got there yet - and that could include some differentiation.
    Horrible of them to not make it clear though. Good luck!

7. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I'd go with suffixes as inflection are more focused on in year 2. I'm always on about the 'ed' one to my year 1's.

8. Thanks for all the help, think I have got my main idea in place focusing on suffixes and if I have chance i'll look at the Term 3 stuff.
    Quoted straight from their letter ' The focus of the unit is to learn how to add common inflections (suffixes) to words.
    It was just the Year 2, Term 3 bit that is throwing me.