1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

support for spelling year 4 please help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blue3, Sep 3, 2010.

1. I have moved from year 1 to year 4. I was fully confident with phonics in year 1 but i am trying to get my head round the new booklet support for spelling. Can anyone please point me towards any planning to look at or wesbites?
    thanks in advance

2. I am sure there are some great free resources out there too but I bought myself the Scholastic Literacy Skills Spelling book - it costs around £20-£30 I think (I can't remember exactly) but it has lesson plans and children's worksheets etc and I have just used that. I gave the children Look Check Cover Write Say sheets for there weekly words (I am not a big fan but our school likes to send them to keep the parents happy) and my more able children did lots of games and dictionary work after looking at the rule with the rest of the class.
    There is a CD rom with it aswell which has whiteboard versions of activities. Well worth it!!! I have bought the Comprehension one too to try this year!!
    ISBN 978-1-407-10057-9

3. Hi Joangel,
    Thank you so much for replying, does the scholastic skills spelling book link to the support for spelling publication? Dont mind spending the money as long as i use the said book!! We are supposed to teaching spelling for 40 mins a week rules etc i just want to make sure i covered all that i am supposed to.

4. The hard part of learning to spell English is not learning the patterns or rules but learning all the exceptions to them (e.g. fed, led, bed - said, head; played, stayed - paid, laid).
    Many teachers find the word lists on my website useful for that:
    English spelling problems (as one word).co.uk

5. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

Hi ,
    This doesn't link <u>directly</u> to Support for Spelling but the authour really pre-empted that document and there are lots of useful resources:
    http://www.ks2phonics.org.uk/

6. Choose a 'Giant' alphabetic code chart to print off and have one in every classroom and around the school to support spelling!
    They're free in unit 1 with no registration required.
    www.phonicsinternational.com

7. Making pupils aware that English sounds have more than one spelling is not a bad thing (e.g. ee / ea / e-e / ie / ei / i-e : sheep, leap, even, thief, weird, machine), but what they really have to learn is which spelling to use in which word.
    So having the words of the week (or the month) on classroom walls is probably better.
    The most common heterographs (e.g. there/their, two/to/too, its/it's) could be left up permanently, since most people misspell those occasionally until the day the die.
    Masha Bell

8. I agree that children have to learn 'which spelling to use in which word' - and the full PI programme addresses that through its mnemonic stories which are used for grapheme searches, reading, comprehension, converting to joined handwriting, writing 'what happens next' and - ultimately - which become spelling stories leading to spelling word banks of word banks with the same sounds and spellings.
    The thing is - the charts are totally free and regardless of spelling programmes currently used in schools (or not), all classrooms would benefit from the charts.
    And better still from the full programme.
    I agree that some words need to be permanent visual aids - and all of that is addressed also.
    I find it pretty appalling that there is so little to offer key stage two and three teachers by way of spelling programmes which provide ample support for the teaching and the learning.
    Whilst you are fighting against our complex spelling system, mashabell, I am trying to support teachers and learners with content and methodology of how to learn it!!!!

9. By the way, the programme also has spelling word banks in the form of its Sound Book Activity Sheets, its Mini Posters and other resources. It's comprehensive.

10. Is your programme free to download? If not shouldn't you advertise on Marketplace?
    If you do not charge why not put the programme in the Resources section?
    What is the attitude of moderators towards advertising on this forum?

11. Part of my programme is free to download - and the rest is extremely good value for money.

I am pioneering with regard to how well we need to teach spelling. The TES people may know that I do a great deal of supportive work and perhaps they are tolerant of me???

12. I admit that I would love to see English spelling made more consistent eventually, because I value literacy very highly, and more regular spelling systems make literacy acquisition vastly easier than the English one.
    But here and now, I am much more interested in helping teachers to understand in detail what makes learning to read and write English so uniquely difficult, and to help them and their pupils cope more effectively.
    The free resources on my website and blogs probably support teachers and learners far more than your programme which u are constantly trying to flog on here. (Many teachers have written to thank me for my work.)
    There is now a bewildering number of phonics programmes on the market, all claiming to be better than the rest. A proper understanding of what learning to read and write English involves (which my website and blog provide) is likely to enable teachers to evaluate them more objectively.
    Masha Bell

13. ''I am pioneering with regard to how well we need to teach spelling.''
    So the rest of us aren't bothered! How arrogant!