1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support for Spelling Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skt107, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!
    I want to implement the Support for Spelling programme into my Year 3 class this year and just wondering how people who use this already manage it in their classrooms? Do you teach it as a seperate session or as a literacy starter?
    Also, does anyone have a good assessment that they use to screen children's abilities to help with the transition from Y2-3?
    Thank you in advance!

2. I use this, well try to. I do a seperate plan (though very brief) and do it 15mins 3 times a week after break which is before english. That way it doesn't have to link so can be planned ahead etc. I do one session of it incorporating handwriting because we are pretty short of time. I teach Y4/5 but have to dip in and out of all the years support for spelling but I guess with Y3 you won't have that problem.

3. All pupils are assessed (except Reception) for their appropriate level and then allocated a class. KS1 used Letters and Sounds, and KS2 use Support for Spelling. We use the first half-hour of the day. Some KS1 will be with KS2 children and vice versa.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. Thanks everyone! We have a scheme to set spelling tests at the moment (which I don't necessarily agree with, but school procedure and all that....!). I didn't feel it worked so I want to try this. Have now also timetabled it in for 2-3 times a week so will see how it goes to start!
    Does anyone know if there are any initial assessments that might help though? I'm aware that some of them might need to recap a lot of letters and sounds before moving onto this!
    Thanks again!