1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support for child...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by RiaWallen, Feb 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RiaWallen

RiaWallen New commenter

I’ve been a nursery practitioner for 8 years and have recently started a new job working in a 2year provision in a school as a TA. A group of about 4 children started at the same, all have settled in and happily attend their sessions however one of the children does not engage unless he is physically placed at an activity or given constant encouragement. Sometimes we physically have to place items in his hand e.g. pens or pencils, self-registration card. At the moment he is non-verbal while at the setting but parent has said he ‘sometimes’ talks at home. There is a language barrier between the staff and the parent and the parent seems reluctant to attend and seems to kind of push the child through the door. I am at a bit of a loss as it’s been 5 weeks now and there seems to be very little progress. The child does not seems to follow other children e.g. if all children have been dismissed to play after group time, the child will remain sitting down until told he can go to play using his name rather than being addressed as part of the group. At the point now where we are considering whether the child may be on the spectrum, we have discussed whether it seems to be cultural or shyness but during stay and play sessions the child has remained the same even with parent there.
    Is also extremely reluctant to engage in sensory/wet/messy ply.
    Any advice/tips/hints/support greatly welcome. Just want to see this child be happy like any other 2 year old.

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

Does this child speak and understand English or is another language used at home. You mentioned maybe a different culture but not really whether it is a second language.
    5 weeks is not long at all if they have suddenly come away from home where another language is spoken all the time. Even if the parents speak some English, if it is a 2nd language they are probably not using it at home . The child is still very young to be thrown into a completely new environment even without a language barrier. I would take more time for them to settle, use their name in short sentences when talking to them. Do you think the child understands but doesn't speak, if not you need to guide and use some actions as well to help communication. A lot of children can be shy and prefer to watch on the sidelines to start with. Boys in particular I have found do not initially like messy play, especially if they have never done it before. It could be useful if you have a suitable kind child you could pair them up with. You could then get them both to look at a book with you and may be they might speak if it is just one other child or do a puzzle together. If they could build up a bit of a relationship you could say to the other child, can they take X to wash their hands etc and they might begin to gain confidence.
    I would suggest the parent is not comfortable coming in due to their lack of confidence with the language barrier and this may rub off on the child.
    Basically just take it slowly, give lots of praise and smiles and reward stickers if you have them, for the smallest of things.