1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Support during phased return

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by stuffedcrust, Mar 19, 2012.

1. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

My phased return started 2 weeks ago. I was told by the Head to take it at my own pace and to approach any members of staff I feel comfortable with, to organise my own support. I feel like I have been wondering around being a burden on my colleagues who are too busy to spend time with me bringing me up to date with what I've missed since November. Staff I have managed to timetable a session with have unfortunately been off due to illness or having to attend a meeting that had just been scheduled etc and this hasn't been rescheduled. In two weeks, the Head hasn't asked to meet me once.

I organised a meeting with the Deputy who more or less bullied me back into the classroom. As part of my Occ Health agreement, the Head agreed to me having support to bring me back up to date / speed before teaching again, so I didn't start off being behind and back to square one. As I haven't had any of this support, I told the Deputy I felt this was unfair as I was promised this. She told me the Head hasn't fed back to her any of the agreements.

This morning was my first time back in class. Did I get a visit from any of the SLT? Any words of encouragement? Was I checked up on, making sure that I was ok and that the children were ok? NOTHING. Surely there are strict guidelines of what should happen support wise during a phased return for a member of staff who has been off with anxiety, depression and stress?

2. stuffedcrust

My phased return started 2 weeks ago. I was told by the Head to take it at my own pace and to approach any members of staff I feel comfortable with, to organise my own support. I feel like I have been wondering around being a burden on my colleagues who are too busy to spend time with me bringing me up to date with what I've missed since November. Staff I have managed to timetable a session with have unfortunately been off due to illness or having to attend a meeting that had just been scheduled etc and this hasn't been rescheduled. In two weeks, the Head hasn't asked to meet me once.

I organised a meeting with the Deputy who more or less bullied me back into the classroom. As part of my Occ Health agreement, the Head agreed to me having support to bring me back up to date / speed before teaching again, so I didn't start off being behind and back to square one. As I haven't had any of this support, I told the Deputy I felt this was unfair as I was promised this. She told me the Head hasn't fed back to her any of the agreements.

This morning was my first time back in class. Did I get a visit from any of the SLT? Any words of encouragement? Was I checked up on, making sure that I was ok and that the children were ok? NOTHING. Surely there are strict guidelines of what should happen support wise during a phased return for a member of staff who has been off with anxiety, depression and stress?

3. Hi stuffed crust. Sorry you are finding it tough. Just wanted to say you are not alone. I have been off since November as well and have had exactly the same experience. It seems like everyone is too busy to provide the recommended support and, as you say, they fail to even put their head round the door. All I can say is remember it is not you, just the situation you have been in. Take care x

4. stuffedcrust

Thanks geminiteach. I just think it's disgusting that none of the SLT, including my line manager even bothered to check that everything was ok. They don't care at all as long as I'm in there and they don't have to pay for supply anymore. I could've had a breakdown in front of the kids for all they know! x

5. Hi stuffed crust how is it going? I saw 0 members of management today .... ;)

6. stuffedcrust

Hi geminiteach, same as you! Not a soul! They've got us back in class and that's all they care about! x

7. Sorry to gatecrash your thread but I'm trying to find out about how a phased return is supposed to work. I've been off since Jan with stress / anxiety and my GP and counsellor are suggesting a phased return possibly after Easter. My Head has asked me to detail what I want to happen but to be honest I don't really know what the options are? Do you work part of the day and then go home or are you expected to do other tasks in school just not in the classroom? Are you still on your normal pay? Sorry for so many questions but I am confused by the whole situation. Hope things have improved for you both. Thanks

8. Hi Sam (and others). I am four weeks into a phased return. My school have been lovely (I have been careful to follow procedures) but before I even discussed what I could manage with my SLT I consulted both OCC Health and my GP and then had a long sit down and prepared notes on what I wanted to happen before I had a meeting with SLT. We agreed that I would spend two weeks shadowing my supply and then start to pick up one group a week ish excluding exam groups. I am not expected to be back to full timetable or extra duties this school year but am back on full pay - a great incentive as I feel valued. Of course it depends how long you have been off for and how work affects your illness but it seems counterproductive to rush in and then have to go sick again so I would cousel caution. Even with my minimal timetable I had a wobble after two weeks, just the noise/pace was exhausting. Just listen to your body. only you know how much you can achieve so do not let anyone pressure you into moving faster than you can. x Keep in touch!

9. Hi Sam. I am on phased return after seeing Occupational Health. They recommended reduced timetable for min. 4 weeks. I am doing 3 out of 5 lessons at the moment and leaving before lunch. They also recommended a stress risk assessment from the HSE, to identify the areas of my role which caused the stress and help prevent a relapse. Hope this helps x