1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supplying Food to students in Food Technology Lessons!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by yms51, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I am a teacher in charge of Food Technology at a secondary school. For the past two years we have been buying the ingredients in for our students and charging them a set amount each week. We work on a rotation system and so they are in food for approx 12-14 weeks. We tried to buy the food in bulk from place like Blakemores, but couldn't get quality fresh ingredients. We then moved to Asda online and had a weekly order delivered, specific to what staff required for their teaching and learning. This has worked well, generally for 2 years. I have been told this week I cannot do this any longer. I am trying to research how other Food Technology departments cater for the needs of their students and how they get around the red tape that seems to surround handling money and ordering systems. I have a meeting with SLT and the business manager in the school and want to go with ideas of how to overcome this problem. I have my own ideas but want to see how other Food Departments deal with this issue.

Many thanks for any suggestions and contributions given. yms51 :))

2. I am a teacher in charge of Food Technology at a secondary school. For the past two years we have been buying the ingredients in for our students and charging them a set amount each week. We work on a rotation system and so they are in food for approx 12-14 weeks. We tried to buy the food in bulk from place like Blakemores, but couldn't get quality fresh ingredients. We then moved to Asda online and had a weekly order delivered, specific to what staff required for their teaching and learning. This has worked well, generally for 2 years. I have been told this week I cannot do this any longer. I am trying to research how other Food Technology departments cater for the needs of their students and how they get around the red tape that seems to surround handling money and ordering systems. I have a meeting with SLT and the business manager in the school and want to go with ideas of how to overcome this problem. I have my own ideas but want to see how other Food Departments deal with this issue.

Many thanks for any suggestions and contributions given. yms51 :))

3. Our food teachers buy all the stuff they need at the weekends, then bring it all on Monday.
    They bitterly resent it, but can't find any other way round it.

4. We do not buy in the ingredients - however we do charge a fix amount at the beginning of each year for D&T - it covers the costs of all the small amounts on recipes (tblsp flour/flour, teasp of spice etc) + all the projects in the other areas which the kids make and take home (we are also on rotation). The recipes are on our e-learning site, with the ingredients that school provide highlighted so parents can see where their money goes. It works well, products are not left behind, we have the money up front to buy in bulk - almost 100% take up.
    Why are SMT stopping this? - we use sainsburys on-line, monthly, (only shop which will deliver in our area) and our technician shops weekly for other items.

5. I had been ordering weekly and paying for the ingredients on the school credit card with asda online. I am told that I can't use this system anymore as we are a cheque book school and all orders have to go through LEA approved suppliers or at least ordered through the official channels. I was considering setting up a bank account with the CAM for D&T? Thank you for commenting!

6. i use tesco gift cards, prepaid cards with £10 on
    school order them in for lots of reasons as well as for food dept.
    i hand over the receipts. simple!
    just need to give a bit of notice of how much i expect to use
    they also have a unique number on so finance can track each card and receipt to a specific budget
    we only provide ingredients for regular primary school visits and dems/ taste testing etc which i shop for.
    Not sure you can do delivery this way though

7. I am a food teacher at a school in an area of social disadvantage. We have 40% free school meals pupils. We used to supply all the ingredients for pupils, but ran out of money and were told we couldnt do this anymore. Since January pupils have been bringing their own ingredients. I didnt think for a minute that it would work and that I would be facing each practical lesson with no pupils doing practical. However, I've been really surprised at the outcome. I send a letter home at the start of every term detailling the practicals and the ingredients needed on what date. I also give them a mini shopping list the lesson before the practical so that they have a double reminder. I make allowances for anyone having difficulties with this but there haven't been that many occaisions. We have the habitual 'forgettees' but I think this is more about them not wanting to cook rather than any financial reasons. The kids now have it firmly in their heads that its their responsibility to organise themselves and remember their ingredients. They dont cook otherwise, and I have a bank of worksheets or reseach they can do whilst the others are doing practical. Hope this helps.Good luck.

8. In my school we have over 50% of pupils on FSM, we have never bought the ingredients for the pupils. As with jaynew68, our pupils are great at bringing their ingredients in. We supply herbs, spices and store cupboard ingredients but the pupils pay for them. If pupils don't bring ingredients, we give them a detention where we have the opportunity to speak to them about finance. If a pupil cannot afford the ingredients we bag up the required food and put their name on it, so no one else knows. We sell the food we demonstrate to the staff and that covers ingredients, our staff are very supportive and always buy our food.We have a bank of worksheets that are matched to the practical which pupils do while the others cook.

9. We started by buying in food but now we only have a single lesson and am too thinking of asking them to bring in the food. It will be tough as it's a boy school also in a disadvantaged area. Do they bring in already weighed as i feel they wont have time to do everything.
    Pls can you send me a copy of your initial letter to know how you approached it and maybe the type of termly shopping list. Much appreciated
    Gillnaz@gmail.com