1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply work tomorrow- ideas please!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Montana_x, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi All,

I'm supplying tomorrow at a school I go to regularly, however I've been asked to take my own work, which is a pain as I don't know what to take, that coupled with the fact I have a really bad cold and just want to go to bed! It's Reception then year 3. I'm thinking for reception take a story and do some writing around that? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thnaks
    M x

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I could be cheeky and suggest using my website for reading colourful interactive books...but that would be dependent on having a projector and computer ;-)

3. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Google Pie Corbett's teaching resources. you might find something on there.Good luck!

4. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

What's your website spllnters?

5. splinters

6. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Thank you very much, but doubtful I'll have access to the internet or a laptop/projector!

7. splinters

No worries, its subscription only but Im happy to give a few free passes out to fellow supply teachers if they can make good use of the resource.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For future use . . . you might consider one of these

upload_2015-12-2_22-11-12.jpeg

upload_2015-12-2_22-11-57.jpeg

upload_2015-12-2_22-12-17.jpeg

upload_2015-12-2_22-12-33.jpeg

upload_2015-12-2_22-12-54.jpeg

Best wishes

9. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

Something to bear in mind is that you'll almost certainly spread your cold to anyone you come into contact with... Then they'll spread it, in a cascade of infection. I've seen classes, and offices, succumb to cold viruses. It tends to be driven by guilt ('Oh, I MUST go in to school/work today, even if I feel terrible!').

As long as you have cold symptoms (sneezing, coughing, etc.), the virus is infectious!

10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I'll say this one more time: you do not need to plan lessons if you are on supply, especially if you are working through an agency. If the booking was agreed as a long term placement with planning and marking, this should be reflected in the pay. You can also request PPA if you are expected to plan and mark your own work;
    You are paid a flat rate based on an understanding that you are working approx 8.30 - 4.00 and no more.
    You are not obliged to spend time out of school planning. You are supposed to mark literacy and numeracy work if you are at a primary school. Planning lessons and preparing differentiated resources is hugely time-consuming. Don't do it if you aren't getting paid.
    If you are with an agency, the school needs to contact the agency and let them know that the conditions of your job have now changed.
    They cannot negotiate directly with you. You are not employed by them.
    They use agency staff because they are casual labour and can be dismissed without notice. You owe them nothing.
    Don't do them any favours by going over your paid hours.

11. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Nearmiss. Everything you write is bang on. Big respecs.

12. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

NearMiss - yes, yes, yes!
    Really irritates me on the Book of Faces ST group that people just accept the expectation they will plan and seem pathetically grateful when planning is left... - no way can you plan effectively when you don' know the prior knowledge, levels, EAL, SEN etc...