1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply work, need a union

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by RebelX, Apr 29, 2012.

1. I'm considering joining the ATL because I am starting supply work. I don't know anything about the ATL, although a number of staff at my previous school were members. Are they a good union for somebody considering doing supply work? I am attracted by their monthly rate, given I might only do it for a short time. Appreciative of any feedback.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you're unlikely to be working 5 days per week, sign up for a lower than f/t membership.
    I'm with the ATL and am registered as 0.3 or less as my supply bookings have nosedived in recent years.

3. I don't know about NTL but was with NASUWT for a long time. Contacted them when I left my fall time job and asked to be changed to 0.2 as I was going to do a f/t masters with one day a week on daily supply. They wrote back to me saying there is no supply and it was too difficult to change my mmembership so they were cancelling it with immediate effect. If on the odd chance I did get supply work I was to contact them and reapply. I have never bothered - however now I am back in school 5 days a week I really should rejoin a union.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That was very bad form on the part of the Union. I was unhappy with the NUT over an issue and rang to cancel my membership mid-subscription year. To their credit, I was told that if I cancelled before the end of the year, I would lose the retrospective protection they could offer if any accusations etc were to materialise from earlier in the year.
    I stayed with them until renewal and moved to the ATL.
    I have managed to go from 0.6 to 0.3 mis subscription as a way of saving money when work was in short supply.

5. Basically, the unions don't seem to give a stuff about supply teachers at all. I'm with the NASUWT and they definitely do not. I have posted about this before, I think supply teachers need to form their own union. I've heard the argument that there are too many unions already and that may be true. However, not one of them are reliable in regards to supply teachers.

6. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I am also with the ATL and although like most of the teaching unions, they generally do not give a monkey about supply teachers. They have refused my call to campaign on the banning of unqualified from covering and teaching lessons, officially they believe that there is no regulation that allows the unqualified to teach and so they should not be teaching and if we see any who is unqualified, teaching, then we should report it to our local rep. On this point they are sticking their heads into the sand, while singing dixie.
    However I have found that the ATL are prepared to pay for the modules of the MA Education course at Edge Hill and being a member, also gets you a discount on your dissertation for the MA course. They also provide Free PD courses for members. So although I find the the ATL weak and unsupportive in some areas, I do find the benefits in terms of CPD provision is a considerable bonus for supply teachers wanting to maintain their CPD knowledge.

7. I joined nasuwt only because if I signed up by direct debut mid last year I would only start paying April this year so got 6 months free. I opted for the part time rate too as supply is not full time. I joined purely for cover in case of accusations and no expectations that they would support the issues of supply teachers. At the time they were cheapest option but offers change all the time.

8. I once was the subject of a false allegation by a pupil and while it was proven false, the head told the agency I was a threat. When I went to the union for help, they made a half hearted offer to approach the school, but advised it would go away on its own. They also advised me to simply join another agency. When the agency dropped me, they advised me against teaching in London. Big help they were.

Two years later, I was assaulted by a pupil in Bristol and as soon as the agency learned I was a supply teacher, they didn't want to know.

9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Which union was this? It sounds like one of little value for supply teachers.

10. The NASUWT

11. Whilst I can understand the NEED for union membership for protection against false and vexatious allegations?, all the unions have disregarded and have not supported supply teachers in general!
    The NUT were "supposed" to be most supportive,,,but?????????