1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Work Instead of FT teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Hoping2012, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

I am currently in a FT job however i would like to go back into supply teaching - anyone who is suplying at the mo - is there a lot of work around? also what is the current payrate?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For what it's worth, personally I think you'd be mad to give up any full-time job for the vagaries & insecurity of supply at present.

3. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

well i am hoping to pursue different avenues within education, lne being supply the other tutoring, etc.....

4. Lara mfl 05

Still think you're mad to give up a permanent pst with regular income. It's so much more difficult to get back into work, when currently unemployed/occasional work!

5. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

I agree - maybe go part ime rather than supply- there isn't much around at the min!

6. You have already been told in various threads that there is very little supply about. Asking the question more times doesn't change the answer. Pursue other avenues by all means but supply is in no way reliable. If you have rent or mortgage to pay be very wary. Many are not making anywhere near enough to survive on.

7. Sorry, you are an idiot to even think about it...If someone offered me FT or even PT I would take their arm off.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I wouldn't consider it now if I still had a mortgage to pay and I didn't have a partner with a healthy income source. I'd consider asking to go part time, unless I'd got to the point where I absolutely detested my job in any form.

9. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Where are you based? I'll take your full time job for you and you can do my supply work.... since Sept I've had 3 1/2 days teaching and various days in a nursery. I'll have earnt much less than £1,000 in 2 months..... sound like a good swap?

10. It's all OK people. Hoping has posted quite a few times about starting on supply and asking for details of various agencies.

Every time people tell them that there are practically no supply jobs and very little money to be made, but still they post, so it sounds like they're going to go ahead and do it anyway.

When Hoping turns up on here in a few months time complaining that they can't get any supply work, can't 'explore the different avenues' that they want to, and are finding it hard to cover the cost of bills etc. I know we will all be full of sympathy for them!

(Have a feeling it'll be a 'well, we told you so moment'. I'm in a particularly bad mood today. Can anyone tell?)

11. I quite agree with all you've said.

12. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

what's your problem?, the whole point of having froums like this is to ask questions one is unsure about. I am not sure why people are attacking me about my query - and why are people quick to judge, i don't appreciate being called an idiot.
    Where have all the supportive people gone?

13. Lara mfl 05

We are being supportive, just telling you how it is, to save you getting into a bad situation - out of concern!

14. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

I am sorry but there is so so so little supply around. I have been very lucky and got 4 weeks work but I know I am in the minority

15. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

I am lookng to go into supply work, for a flexible work, and being able to go to different schools. As many of you have mentioned that supply work is low, however when i was supplying 2 years ago, sept was very quiet, but things did pick up.
    Another reason for supplying, so i can just teach, less paperwork to deal with and no meetings to go to.

16. Lara mfl 05

If that is your sole reason and you can afford to be without a permanent regular income then perhaps. But employment, in any sphere, is really tough in the present climate and those of us who've been around supply a while,recognise that the Sept/Oct usual 'dip' is much more than that and has been steadily 'fading' for the last 5-10 years to the extent that in some areas it's non-existent.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Just teach!! Supply is very difficult - new schools and some students don't like supply teachers.
    Are you primary or secondary?

18. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

i am primary trained

19. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Robyn r u supplying right now?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was supplying - I now have a long term (sort of) contract doing 1-1 tutoring in a school. I did supply and my own education related business last year. Supply was rare - but that could have been because I was not available every day because of other commitments.
    If you are available everyday, then primary might not be too bad. But daily rates are low, you don't get a pension, sick pay and you have quiet times. But then again - you do not have the hassle and stress of full time teaching.