1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply work in Newcastle upon Tyne/North Tyneside area

Discussion in 'Primary' started by annierichardson, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I am thinking of returning to supply work, I would still need to work full time and was wondering if there is still a market for supply out there?? I would appreciate hearing from those who are currently doing supply work in the Newcastle/North Tyneside area. Thanks

2. I am thinking of returning to supply work, I would still need to work full time and was wondering if there is still a market for supply out there?? I would appreciate hearing from those who are currently doing supply work in the Newcastle/North Tyneside area. Thanks

3. asnac

asnac Established commenter

You might be better posting this on the Supply Teachers forum.

Good luck.

4. Supply work everywhere is dismal to non-existent (unless you're a bored agency staff member with one post who miraculously has work every day and posts on the TES to tell us) this year. I've gone from a steady 2-3 days a week (all I wanted) in previous years, to being lucky if I get half a day a week... and the summer lull is now an autumn and winter lull as well.
    Add in the fun of agency workers regs basically meaning you'll get kicked out on your ear after 12 weeks in a school, "supply cover supervisors" meaning basically your wages have been over halved (but you'll still be expected to do exactly the same stuff), the rise of things like the hour-long booking (usually at least over an hour's travelling to get to), the "free trial half day" or "buy the morning, get the afternoon free" - meaning you're essentially paying out in petrol to work for nowt and agencies trying it on in a multitude of new and interesting ways - and it's dead as a way of living.
    And I say that as someone who'd made a living, not by any stretch an affluent or comfortable one, but a living - out of supply for many a year (and was flipping good at it in terms of return bookings and requests for me by name) - it's dead and over with.
    Oh and be wary of anyone with a handful of posts pedalling miracles (there are a fair few one-post-wonders pop up on the supply forum regularly telling how they're working every day to main-scale rate in delightful schools - PM me for details guys!) - considering you're looking at paying over £40 or whatever for every CRB - you have to be somewhat sceptical of promises of miracle solutions (and any agency is only as good as whoever's working your desk at that particular time - something to bear in mind particularly with the national chains - one regional office can be good, one can be crud)

5. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

Where do you do it?