1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply work in London (and perm teaching job elsewhere)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jj80, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I have been a daily supply teacher since Sept 2010 and the work has basically dried up since after Easter break. Has this happened to anyone else in London?
    I am looking for permanent work as well but that has been very difficult. I am from America with 7 years teaching experience (2 terms in England)but I am a dual citizen and therefore not UK trained. Do you think that makes a difference? I am fed up with supply and being broke and being treated horribly and honestly, I think I may want to give up teaching completely! lol It seems the whole profession is going down the drain here and in America.
    Are teaching jobs easier to come by in other parts of England? I have a lovely boyfriend now and moving back to America isnt really an option at the moment. [​IMG]

2. Things are really tough at the moment. I have been a teacher for over 10 years and this is the toughest I've ever known it for jobseekers. What few permanent jobs there are at present are going to the NQTs as they are cheap. When schools need an experienced teacher they know that they can also get one on the cheap on supply. But even that's dried up at the moment. There are still quite a few permanent positions out there if you are a Maths or Science Teacher. As for everything else, well, you have to try and remain positive. As they are cutting training places in University, I would expect the situation to be very much improved again for all subject areas in a couple of years time. Moving out of London? At the moment I wouldn't bother. I live in Kent and there's absolutely nothing at the moment. London remains the best bet - especially West London.

3. good to know!Thanks!
    Im a bit fed up of filling out these lengthy applications just to get no reply at all! I wish it was as easy at just forwarding my cv... [​IMG]

4. Practically nothing on the maths and science front either, even in London. I did these subjects, and only got 6 days in the last year!