1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply work in East London & Essex

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nata101, Feb 22, 2019.

1. nata101

nata101 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently completing my NQT year as an English & Drama teacher. I'm going to hand in my notice soon. My plan for September is to combine working in the arts (freelance) with supply teaching work for the next year. I'm keen to know how much supply work is actually out there... I've spoken to agencies and they have told me that there is a lot of work but I'm obviously not relying on that... I'm keen to do day to day supply but also possibly interested in long term supply (depending how long). I've trained and worked in secondary school but I am also happy to supply in primary school too. I'm really determined to pursue supplying teaching work in East London/Essex this year. So I'll join a lot of agencies and hope to build good relationships etc. I still have to pay bills/mortgage and so I'd like an honest opinion from anybody with supply teaching experience please. How much supply teaching work is there in East London/Essex? Am I likely to get work everyday?

Thanks

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

You need to join several agencies and get a portable DBS. As for work, it varies from region to region. London seems awash with supply teachers and as a result there’s not enough work to go around. Nationally more schools are employing cover supervisors or using HLTAs or TAs to cover lessons. There’s not as much work as there used to be. If you’re willing to do both primary and secondary, as I do, you might be able to pick up more work.

The first half of the autumn term is usually very quiet for supply (none of my friends had a single day’s work until November last year) with the only work being long term supply. Similarly the last half of summer term is also very quiet, again apart from long term work. If you’re not relying on it as your main income then supply could be of use.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Just to echo @agathamorse - Supply work is not as plentiful as it used to be. I didn't get a single day last term, but I have had a few days so far this term. However, I am fussy and at this late stage in my career I avoid challenging schools like the plague. I am also in Essex but only do primary. It is a fairly bleak picture for day-to-day but you should be ok for long term work (with the usual caveat of no sick or holiday pay and no pension contributions, combined with all the stresses of a permanent position.) I would urge caution - would working part-time at your current school be an option?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@agathamorse has it right, I am afraid. London has always had the 'Dick Whittington' effect of drawing in people who find it hard to find work elsewhere, thus further glutting the market. As i have said before, you can hardly throw a brick in London without hitting a would-be supply teacher, or private tutor.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.