1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply work for the new Academic Year (Sept 2020 onwards)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by macsenlloydwilliams, Aug 24, 2020.

1. macsenlloydwilliams

macsenlloydwilliams New commenter

Hey guys
    I'm an NQT having qualified last year (June 2019) and have been on supply since then, due to not (yet) having landed a permanent teaching role. I quite enjoyed myself on supply, having a mix of day to day and longer term placements.

My question is.. What do you guys think supply work is going to be like come the new academic year?
    Reckon it'll be very quiet,or firing on all cannons and busy with plenty of work?
    I've had mixed messages from agencies but overall its hard for them to say understandably.
    I'm currently working a temp job and have been since April, to keep my income afloat.
    I was/am planning to leave this temp job come september and focus back on teaching supply, but my concern is i'll leave this job to have little to no supply work and subsequently little to no income.

So i'm abit stuck as to what to do.. Could possibly stay on weekends at my temp job, or quit altogether really..
    Any thoughts/opinions?

Apologies for the long post

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Given there’s now an acknowledged risk for teaching staff...and where could we go at breaks if staffrooms are closed and we’re kicked out of classrooms.

I think it will be extremely quiet with pressure to do long term Cover Supervisor roles in 1 school.

Not sure if I want to go back being in 2 dodgy categories...

I can see there might be a lot of Cover needed in schools though.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

I would keep your temp job to be honest

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Definitely keep your temp job. It will probably be different from usual this year, but most years supply doesn’t start picking up until October at the earliest.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you have work then hold onto it. My agency called me on Monday to say that they had no work in the pipeline and were expecting that schools would try to avoid supply if possible because they won't want starngers coming into classes.

6. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I agree with Blazer - I suspect Supply Work will be virtually non-existent for September at least.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It is very difficult to predict levels of supply even before Covid19, but as Peter says, normally supply does not pick up until around mid October or just after the first half term break.

Deirds, may be correct that many schools will try to have more cover supervisors to avoid having a lot of different people coming into schools. On the other hand, there may well be a shortage of people wanting to risk going into schools thus creating a real need for supplies.

If I were still teaching, I wouldn't risk going into schools -at least not yet.

9. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

Blazer and others make a lot of sense. The big uncertainty is:

I am following on from what others have posted. We knew this was coming, but I haven't seen any adverts for it. It is likely to hit supply teachers hard when it starts in Oct, so I would think extremely hard before giving up your temp job, especially if you enjoy it. If your employer would let you temp at weekends and do supply in the week, this could be a good way of testing demand.

Honestly, at the risk of sounding cold, I would be thinking. How desperately do I want to teach? How in demand is my subject? If I am young, how much am I giving up by changing direction?

The academic mentors scheme means a school can hire recent graduates for only £4,500 each to do catch up work. It runs Oct -July and pays £19,000 if you do this whole period. 2 weeks training - 1 if you have QTS and wish to work for so little. If a school only pays £4,500 per mentor, they can hire a small army for the cost of a supply teacher. No they won't be doing cover - at least supposedly not! But if they free up teachers, coupled with cover supervisors: a lot of supply could disappear. Who knows? Just been engaged for Sept following staff injury.

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  10. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I think that supply will be different this year in the number of schools a supply will be able to visit, but September is traditionally quiet, but many things will depend on the schools, will they introduce social distancing and reduced class sizes, will the just require the supply they know. Many things are so uncertain, but I am hoping that the demand will be there, if restricted in where you can work.

11. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I deal with ground stability for my day job which is patchy. I make a LOT of money when it's on and the amount of work is dependent on the housing market. It's a bit of a poor life choice really. Although I can earn £2500+ a week, last year the phone didn't ring for 3 months. Not at all. I keep my hand in with supply and before covid, I took a placement at a good local school where I was replacing a science HOD for months. It was great. My work stuff was taking phonecalls in my free periods/lunch and visiting sites after school and doing work on the weekends. My business partner was also doing some work at the university and doing "our stuff" in the gaps.

When everyone got sent home my "we need you until the summer" just evaporated. Got the plug pulled, got binned like superted.

I am due (with my family) £66 a week universal credit. I didn't even bother filling in the paperwork.

As a slightly overweight 43 year old, I found myself being bottom of the food chain on a local building site labouring. I lost 6" of waist and 2 stone in 2 months. As I say, I am not there to earn money, I am there to get fit. £100 a day.

I would rather not be humping stone, mortar and big lumps of stuff up scaffold in the rain. It's nice in the summer, but brutal when it cools down.

What is a running kick in the face is this lady that asks for spare bits of stone we have. She's literally been hot tubbing it up for months. An English teacher with a contract. Meanwhile, I'm sweating on the site. #allinittogether

I am faced with a dilemma. I have a load of ground stability work to do. I've got some big shafts to cap and I'm going to earn a fortune. Probably £10k of work over a few weeks. It is possible that after october, we could have the mother of all recessions. Do I risk losing the £10k work to stay on the site and have regular money, (because if I say "can I have 3 weeks off" they will say FO) or do I put my chips on supply being a thing.

I say yes. If I'm not on site and the agency want me to go to the other end of the county in 10 minutes, I'm leaving 5 minutes ago. I'll do anything and I'll do my best at all times. I get work.

The thing is, I don't think we're going to be back. I think schools are really trying. My chief at Helston was a proper leader and demonstrated leadership perfectly during the crisis. Seriously, what a man? The guy is amazing. They're doing their best to work within the chaotic and changing government framework. I think despite their efforts, it's all going to fail at the first hurdle. Whilst all of our contracted pals will go back to their hot-tubs, we will be screwed.

One of the contractors I use knows someone who had a forklift driver position which had 300 applicants. I am aware of a DHL driver who was a pilot recently.

I think the "if you have work, stay put" is a very good idea.

I do have to do these site investigations. I think I'm going to have to bite that bullet.

12. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Is the work as a the HOD ongoing or not, if not I would be tempted to take the work that is going and try to fit supply in between, because normally September is quiet, but this month could be different with potentially smaller classes due to social distancing, teachers missing for various reasons (including self-isolating, how wonder how many could be pregnant? due to being at home with now't to do). However things are very uncertain at the moment.