1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply work & cover supervisor roles

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by MsAliss, Dec 3, 2019.

1. MsAliss

MsAliss New commenter

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can help.

I completed my PGCE & did alot of supply work (completed 16months short term supply with out beginning NQT induction year).

Following that I took time out & have done other roles outside of teaching.

I am now trying to get back into teaching to begin my NQT induction year but i am finding it very difficult to get a job.

My present job allows me to have one day off a week, where potentially i could do voluntary work to show my commitment to trying to get back into teaching, but I think that supply teaching would help more.

I realise i can not do day to day supply work any more (would need to be for at least a term in order to go towards induction year).
    However, if i completed day to day work as a “cover supervisor” would this go against the 16month supply rule or not as technically not supply teaching as such...

thanks in advance, feeling very lost right now.

2. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

You either need a long term placement which will count towards NQT terms, or a “proper” job. More jobs will appear in springtime. Good luck!

MsAliss likes this.
  3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Cover Supervisor or TA'ing would work for you. I've known a number of NQTs who for whatever reason, went into a different direction. By TA'ing or CS they were able to get up to date and increased their experience in the classroom without the pressure of deadlines etc.

It worked wonders for their confidence and put them in a great position for applying for jobs. It worked every time and they all were able to secure NQT posts. Go for it.

MsAliss likes this.
  4. MsAliss

MsAliss New commenter

Thank you MissGeorgi, & thank you for the GoodLuck, I really hope something comes up!!

5. MsAliss

MsAliss New commenter

Thank you phatsals, this really fills me with hope!! I will look into these options further!!! :)

6. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

It's definitely worth pursuing. It's a good way to get back into the classroom without the responsibilities, will give you an up to date school reference and update you knowledge base.

Good luck.