1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply work cancelled...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by brokenstar64, Sep 12, 2011.

1. After I was booked, because the school changed their mind and decided to have TAs covering instead!

Is this a regular occurence?

Am really really annoyed as it was an advance booking that I'd rearranged my schedule for and had budgeted around.

Anyone else had this experience?

2. In my experience, this has been a feature which has happened to me a few times in the past year. It was not something that happened in previous years. Sad times.

3. It's ridiculous and insulting - i feel like I've completely wasted my time in training to become a teacher! Grrr.

4. I was booked for an afternoon at a school and was cancelled after I had turned up there. The secretary was very apologetic though and asked for me again the following week. It is annoying though!

5. How awful! At least you got asked back. The most annoying thing is, this is a school with which I have had a previous bad experience (interview + serious lack of organisation/communication) so feel like I should've known something like this would happen; absolutely kicking myself.

6. Try not to take it too personally, all schools treat supply teachers as sub-human and even common courtesy is too much to expect from most schools. The fact that you have wasted your time and money is of no concern to them. It happens quite often I'm afraid. Some agencies will send you to a school with no booking confirmed just on the off chance they can get a days work. Its no loss to them if you don't but is of course to you.

7. Try not to take it too personally all schools treat supply teachers as sub-human and even common courtesy is too much to expect. That fact that you have wasted your valuable time and more importantly money is of no concern to them. Some agencies will send you to a school with no confirmed booking on the off chance you can earn them some money. It's no loss to them if you can't but of course is a loss for you in time and money. Read my post Supply is dead! long live supply to see how everyone feels about supply.

8. Absolutely. Most would not **** on you, if you were on fire..........

9. If a teacher is booked (timetabled) to teach a class but is then told that a TA is being used instead then tis is a clear case of a teacher being replaced by a member of the support staff.
    The DfE has stated on nnumerous occasions that teachers should not be replaced by support staff. The Dept has also stated that any school that does wrong, and replacing teachers with support staff is wrong, should be reported to LEAs. But what would they do since they also say thst the deployment of staff is the responsibilty of the schools and outside of LEA control.
    Maybe we should all report the schools that behave improperly directly to the DfE since they seem to want to ignore the reality of the current situation in schools.

10. It's all so annoying, so many hurdles for us to fall at. It's true, schools do think very little of supply teachers. Yes replaced with support staff seems to be something of a bind considering what the DfE says is a total contradiction of terms. I can wholly believe this happens regularly, schools need to sort themselves out; it's these self same schools that are against the principle of Free Schools/Academies as they employ unqualified staff ('teachers' without teaching training) and yet schools are essentially doing the same thing by exploiting their support staff in these situations and screwing over supply workers.

11. Good point the state school teachers moaning about Free Schools using unqualified staff!
    Now there is a laugh!
    I bet they will have the cheek to strike when their own jobs are on the line.

12. It happens - sometimes it's stuff like the course you're covering for gets cancelled, on one occasion I was covering for someone's jury duty and things finished earlier than anticipated, sometimes you never get to know the reason and it may well be that your face didn't fit and they got a better offer - you never know.
    Sometimes there are booking screwups -sometimes it's the agency, quite often it's lack of communication in the school and two people have made the cover booking phonecall instead of one - they're probably the worst time as the agencies are going to smile sweetly and not blame the school and you're stood there like a pillock in reception... mind you - a few times that's happened to me and both supplies have been vying to go home instead cos neither of us actually wanted to have to teach the class in question! Sometimes the heads and staff are utterly mortified it's happened, sometimes they just look at you like it's all your fault. On one noteable occasion a school booked a LOT of supply cover for a LEA NQT induction day (says something about this school that it was staffed so heavily by NQTs that all left after a year), and the office staff got the dates wrong - some supplies that showed were redeployed to give people release time for at least a morning, I happily volunteered to go home since it's, well, putting it politely - a bottle of wine in the fridge pre-chilled for when you get home type school!
    It's lousy and in an ideal world there'd be some form of cancellation compensation for us - but these days is that REALLY ever going to happen?!

13. Hi "MisterFlibble"
    . On one noteable occasion a school booked a LOT of supply cover for a LEA NQT induction day (says something about this school that it was staffed so heavily by NQTs that all left after a year), and the office staff got the dates wrong - some supplies that showed were redeployed to give people release time for at least a morning, I happily volunteered to go home since it's, well, putting it politely - a bottle of wine in the fridge pre-chilled for when you get home type school!

Is this school by any chance in wakefield?

14. Nah - obviously another school did completely the same screwup as well apparently!

15. Which is why everyone should sign/forward/promote the E-Petition for only QUALIFIED teachers to teach our children-see the thread on here-"E-Petition now on line " for the link to it.!

Normal

16. As I said before, the school in question is one where I've had previous experience (including a nightmare of an interview due to poor communication and total misinformation in some aspects) so it doesn't come as too much of a shock from them.
    Plus during my interview (which was a total waste of time cos they'd made clear they were just going through the motions and had already chosen their candidate) I made a point about asking about the school's stance on the Academy status, and the Management team who were on the panel were all vehemently opposed to the notion! Ha.
    We only wasted several years of our lives training and gaining experience, many of us changing careers and leaving the security of gainful employment to pursue teaching. Not to mention the money we've spent on our training, resources, CRBs, GTC and Union membership in order to be both officially recognised as teachers and able to give our best as teachers (in terms of time spent planning and delivering the goods, per se!), and yet, after all of that... THIS is what we're granted!
    Because we're worth it?...!

17. Also, in my case, the school booked supply then cancelled it later informing the agency that they were opting to cover their classes using support staff instead - this was after it had all been arranged.
    I've yet to turn up at a booking and be sent away - that'll be the icing on the turd cake though, if I have to fork out for my bus/train pass for nothing, I'll be fuming. In these cases the schools/agencies should at least offer some kind of expenses compensation - what if we reject other work on the basis of these 'mistakes'?
    But yes, I hadn't forgotten that we are just worthless scum.
    The stringency of the security and signing in procedures seems to be negated by the fact that many school offices aren't staffed when I arrive, leaving cleaners to find 'someone' to see to me; nobody ever chases up seeing my ID/CRB etc and I always have to go back at break/lunchtime so that they can copy my paperwork. I could literally be anybody!

18. Yet another example of teachers being replaced by support staff which the DfE is supposed to be opposed to.