1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply work and continuous service

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by salus123, Nov 11, 2018.

1. salus123

salus123 New commenter

Hi all,

I worked as a teacher for a maintained school as maternity cover April -April. For the rest of the academic year (3 months) I worked as a supply teacher across the county for an agency. I then got a fixed term contract in sept 2018. I’m due to leave for mat leave end of January but have been told I wont have 2 years of continuous service and therefore smp because of the 3 months I worked as supply. But how is that my fault if my first contract ended in April and there was nothing suitable to apply for for the remaining 3 months?

Thanks
    Sal

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Nobody said it was your fault, it's just a fact.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you don't qualify for SMP, you will qualify for Maternity Allowance, which is very nearly the same. To apply for that, you need evidence from your employer that you don't qualify for SMP.
    https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance

You won't qualify for the occupational maternity pay, though, unfortunately - although even if you had, you would have needed to return to work for 13 weeks after the birth and before the end of your contract.